Burning Tongue Causes
The culprits behind this problem called burning tongue or burning mouth syndrome can be easily enumerated. There are a number of reasons why a person may be suffering from this ailment and here are some of the more prevalent ones:
- As mentioned before, one of the main reasons for having this kind of a problem is the hormonal changes that a woman in her menopausal years goes through. Sometimes even when a woman is not in her menopausal years, she can still experience this problem due to hormonal imbalance or hormonal changes.
- Another possible reason why a person may experience burning tongue syndrome is when he or she is taking medication that causes this side effect. Some of the medicines that can be blamed for such a side effect include certain blood pressure medications, diuretics, and diabetes medicines that are taken orally.
- Other causes of burning tongue include food allergies and allergies to certain mouth products like toothpaste and mouthwash. Even an allergy to a particular kind of gum can also cause this kind of a problem.
- Lack of certain nutrients in your diet and your system can also cause this problem. If you are low on niacin, folic acid, iron, and vitamin B-12, this can be a possible outcome.
Burning Mouth Syndrome Causes
Dental procedures, consumption of medicines such as diuretics and blood pressure, changes in hormones due to menopause are common conditions which burning lips syndrome occur. Other reasons for burning tongue are nutritional deficiencies, dental trauma, yeast infection in mouth.
Other possible causes of burning tongue are:
- Dry mouth
- Oral Candidiasis
- Acid reflux
- Consuming diet with insufficient amount of zinc, riboflavin and cobalamin
- Anxiety, depression and stress
Also see Causes and Treatment for Cracks in Mouth