Scrotal tongue is characterized by fissures and grooves on the tongue, making it look wrinkled. There may be several fissures or one groove in the middle of the tongue with many fissures branching off from it.
Some people are born with a scrotal tongue and it becomes noticeable with advancing age. Infection and malnutrition are other significant causes.
What Causes Scrotal Tongue?
- The precise cause of a scrotal tongue isn’t known yet.
- In most cases it is congenital; i.e. present since birth and is noticed later on in life.
- An allergic reaction or systemic yeast infection are important causes too.
- Malnutrition may also trigger the formation of a scrotal tongue.
- It is seen in people with Down’s syndrome and Melkersson-Rosenthal syndrome, however this is not exclusive.
Symptoms Of Scrotal Tongue
- By and large, fissures on the tongue is quite a harmless condition and may not present any signs and symptoms.
- Grooves or furrows or fissures will be apparent on your tongue.
- Occasionally, the fissures may deepen and when you eat foods that are spicy or acidic – such as vinegar or salt, you may experience a burning / tingling sensation.
- Furthermore, if the fissures are deep, food tends to accumulate in them and they harbour colonies of bacteria or debris from food, leading to an offensive breath as well as fungal infections.
Homeopathic Remedies For Scrotal Tongue
- Most healthcare providers will suggest brushing and cleaning your tongue frequently to fight off bacteria and prevent infection in the fissures. Oral hygiene is of utmost importance. Brush twice a day and clean the tongue twice a day. Flossing is necessary too. Visit your dentists / oral hygienist at least once in 6 months.
- In case of a yeast infection; you will need to take anti- fungal medications to battle Candida albicans; along with a pro-biotic to manage the colonies of beneficial and harmful bacteria effectively.
- Also, you need to cut down on your consumption of sugary foods to avoid a multiplication of the yeast, and supplement with Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium for successful results.
- Homeopathy drugs are decidedly beneficial in managing a scrotal tongue. The following remedies will provide relief. However, it is also recommended that you confer with a practicing homeopath.
- Arnica Montana: Is an excellent medicine that soothes inflammation of the mucous membranes. It allays swelling and discomfort in the tongue quickly.
- Arsenicum Album: In case of a scrotal tongue caused by an allergic reaction, arsenicum album is wonderful. It will help alleviate the allergic reaction and effectively deal with the tingling and burning sensation on the tongue.
- Sulphuric Acid: Sulphuric Acid is essentially a ‘mouth’ remedy. It helps deal with most complaints of the teeth, gums and tongue; especially when there is infection and characteristic burning acidic pain in the mouth.
Along with homeopathy medicines it is vital that you boost your vitamin C intake. Vitamin C proffers good oral health as well as ensures that you do not develop any infection in the oral cavity. Have plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables – limes, lemons, oranges, bell peppers, carrots and pumpkins; these are loaded with vitamin C. You may also confer with your health care provider / dentist and start a vitamin C supplement.