Burns are classified by degree. First degree burns affect the epidermis or the outer layer of the skin. First degree burns cause redness and pain, but no blistering. Nearly all household burns and sunburns are classified as first degree burns, and they can be easily treated at home.
Second degree burns affect deeper tissues; they impact the epidermis as well as the dermis.
Third degree burns are very serious, and demand instant medical aid. Third degree burns are deep and quite damaging; it involves the dermis and epidermis as well as, hair, blood vessels, nerves, glands, muscle, bone and fat. The burn appears white or black and is by and large painless, because the nerves get severely impaired.
Home Remedies For Minor Burns
- Potato peels: apply the peels on the burn, and then wiped off. It eases redness and pain.
- Water: Cool (not cold) is excellent to treat burns. It reduces the pain and checks the burn from spreading.
- Honey: honey is also known to allay pain and discomfort after a burn; it also hastens the process of healing considerably. Additionally, honey brings down the temperature of the skin too, and prevents the occurrence of infections.
- Oil application: a combination of olive oil, sunflower oil and pumpkin seed prevents blister formation and is recommended in cases of burns.
- Vinegar: is an effective treatment for burns. Blend vinegar and water and apply over the wound.
Minor Burns First Aid Treatment And Pain Relief
- First and foremost, smother any flames using a blanket. Water may be used too, to extinguish the flame. For scalds, run the area under cool water for 10 minutes. Do not use ice.
- Next, you need to look for injuries.
- Remove jewelry and clothing at the site of the burn. In case the clothing is stuck to the burn, do not remove it. Cautiously, cut around the stuck fabric to get rid of the loose fabric.
Pain Relief for Minor Burns
- Aloe Vera: aloe vera gel is amazing for burns; it soothes the burn and promotes rapid healing.
- Lavender essential oil: apply neat lavender essential oil to the burn site. It is wonderful remedy that checks pain instantaneously. Alongside, it will prevent infections from developing too.
- Baking soda: sprinkle baking soda on skin that is slightly moistened; it soothes pain. Wipe after 15 minutes and repeat, if necessary.