The candida skin infection develops when there’s an overgrowth of the Candida fungus on your skin. The condition is known as candidiasis of the skin.
The infection is seen as red, itchy rashes, usually in the folds of the skin. The symptoms are very troublesome; however, they can be effectively managed with good hygiene and anti-fungal medications.
Causes And Symptoms Of Candida Skin Infection
The candida skin infection develops when the skin gets infected with the fungus Candida. Some amount of the Candida fungi naturally live on the skin. However, when the fungus begins to proliferate uncontrollably, infection occurs. Usual triggers for multiplication include:
- Tight clothing
- Hot sultry weather
- Poor hygiene
- A weak immune mechanism.
- Not changing your undergarment frequently.
- The indiscriminate administration of antibiotics that destroy the ‘friendly’ bacteria and fungi.
Candida thrives in warm, moist areas. Hence, infection develops in areas where there are skin folds, such as the armpits, under the breasts and groin. Babies develop candidiasis of the skin, particularly on the buttocks, where the diaper tends to provide a perfect climate for Candida growth.
Symptoms: The chief symptom of candidiasis is skin rash. The rash is red and intensely itchy. The skin may crack and get sore. Pustules may develop. Common areas for candidiasis are – armpits, in the groin, between the fingers, and under the breasts.
Natural Ways To Treat Candida Skin Infection
- Candidiasis of the skin can successfully managed with home remedies, the most vital being correct and good hygiene. Washing the skin regularly, maintaining strict levels of cleanliness and drying the skin thoroughly is very essential.
- Oscillating blood sugar levels contribute to the development of Candida infections, hence, keeping your blood sugar under control allays the symptoms appreciably. Confer with your healthcare provider and start the appropriate diabetes mellitus drugs.
- Garlic is an excellent home remedy to battle against candidiasis; it has sulfur-containing compounds which act as powerful anti-fungal agents. Have 2 to 3 flakes of raw garlic daily for 15 days.
- Coconut oil works as another beneficial remedy for candidiasis. The saturated fats in coconut oil have anti-microbial properties which annihilate the fungi. Apply coconut oil topically over the rash 2 to 3 times daily.
- Tea tree essential oil is an invaluable remedy for candida. It has potent anti-fungal properties which kill the fungi quickly. Apply a drop or two of the neat oil to the affected area several times a day.
- Yogurt has been frequently touted as a cure for candida infection. The pro-biotics present in yogurt fight off candidiasis. The Lactobacillus acidophilus culture, specifically, keeps Candida in check by producing lactic acid. Consume a bowl of yogurt daily for about a month, and make it a part of your diet in case you frequently suffer from candidasis. Also, you could apply the yogurt to the skin rash for relief.
- In severe cases of candidiasis, your doctor may advocate anti-fungal creams. An anti-fungal cream will kill the Candida and prevent a spread of the infection. If the infection has spread to areas inside your body – mouth or throat, you will require taking oral medications to get rid of the infection.