Cellulite is basically bumpy, dimpled skin. The skin appears to have cottage cheese or orange peel texture. Mild cellulite becomes apparent only when the skin is pinched. Severe cellulite makes the skin look puckered, uneven and unsightly.
By and large, cellulite is common around the buttocks and thighs, but may be found on the lower abdomen, breasts and upper arms too. Cellulite on the legs is not a serious medical condition however, it is unattractive and hideous. It makes you uncomfortable about wearing shorts or a swimming suit.
There are a host of treatment options that are available to manage cellulite on the legs. Researchers are studying potential treatments; for the time being, you can take steps to improve the appearance of cellulite to some extent.
Fibrous connective tissue cords bind the skin to the underlying muscle, with the fat lying between; and this triggers the development of cellulite. As the fat cells tend to buildup, they push against the skin, and the long, fibrous cords pull down. This consequently results in a bumpy and uneven skin surface.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Cellulite On Thighs
A host of skin products and creams assert that they can effectively treat cellulite. However, there is little or no scientific substantiation to back these claims. In fact, even if you do find a treatment regimen which gets rid of the cellulite, chances are that the results won’t last very long. You could try these treatment options and see whether they work for you.
The following are some of the many publicized cellulite therapies.
- Massage: Vigorous massage increases the flow of blood, gets rid of toxins and decreases surplus fluid in the cellulite-prone regions. One technique in particular, the Lipo-massage makes use of a hand-held device to squeeze and manipulate the skin between rollers. You will perceive some improvement in the skin after this treatment, but results are usually short-term.
- Mesotherapy: In mesotherapy, a solution comprising of a combination of hormones, aminophylline, enzymes, vitamins, minerals and certain herbal extracts is injected under the skin. This therapy does show some degree of skin enhancement; however, the results are transitory. On the flip side mesotherapy is known to cause several unwelcome effects, such as, rashes, infection and bumpy skin contours.
- Creams: Certain creams which contain vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and herbs are marketed widely; however, no research proves that these creams proffer complete results.
Exercises To Reduce Cellulite On Your Legs
- Thigh raise: Lie on your abdomen. Keep your hands to the side of the torso. Slowly raise the left thigh upwards, avoid bending at the knee. Hold to the count of 10. Release. Repeat for the right thigh. Do about 5 to 10 sets.
- Thigh bend: Sit on the floor such that your thighs are perpendicular to the floor. Keeping the spine erect, bend the left leg so that the sole of the left foot touches the right knee. Hold to the count of 10. Release and repeat for the other side. Do 5 sets of this exercise.
- Bull pose: Sit on the floor. Cross your legs in such a way that the left buttock rests on the right heel and the left heel touches the upper aspect of the right thigh. Keep the spine straight and hold the pose till the count of 50. Repeat for the other side. Do about 3 sets.