DHT is a common name for dihydrotestosterone, a metabolite derived from testosterone a dominant male sex hormone. During fetal stage DHT plays important role in development of penis and prostate gland. AT puberty it is responsible for giving biological characteristics to males such as increase in body hair, moustache, beard, increase in muscular mass, and deep male voice.
There are certain foods that are known to raise DHT.
- If your dietary intake of fat is more.
- If you are more of carbohydrate containing food and less of protein diet.
- Drink more coffee.
- Avoid eating soy and foods containing phytoestrogens. Phytoestrogens are type of estrogen that is present in plant foods. Example are barley, oats, soybeans, sesame seeds, rice, carrots, apples, wheat germ, coffee, kudzu etc.
How to Reduce DHT:
There are several ways to reduce DHT. Certain medications are known to reduce DHT induced hair loss. However, these medications have side effects if taken for long duration. Natural route is more preferable to reduce DHT. Eating a nutritious diet certainly helps to reduce DHT in a natural way. Actually DHT does not cause hair fall, but it brings changes in the follicle that prevents proper hair growth. People most affected are those who have genetic tendency of hair loss. When DHT attaches to the hair follicle of genetically predisposed person, it prevents absorption of protein, vitamins and other nutrients needed by for growth of hair. Foods that are helpful in inhibiting 5 alpha reductase must be consumed. This enzyme is responsible for conversion of testosterone into DHT. Here are certain foods that help to reduce DHT naturally.
- Oysters, cereals, eggs, beef, kale, spinach.
- Cashew nuts, almond, pistachios, walnuts, vegetable oils containing omega 6 fatty acids. All the nuts contain L-lysin a substance that inhibits DHT.
- DHT inhibitor such as fish, shelfish, cheese, lentils. They contain L-lysine a DHT inhibitor.
- Pumpkin seeds and seed oil contain delta -7 stearine which breaks down DHT during the metabolic process in liver.
- Lycopene content in many vegetables and fruits can hamper DHT. Tomato, strawberry, carrots, watermelon, mango, etc are useful.
- Biotin is essential for healthy hair growth. Biotin is a water soluble vitamin found naturally in foods such as banana, mulberry, strawberry, peanuts, liver, fish oil etc. Eat foods that are rich in biotin vitamin for strengthening your hair and hair follicles.
- Another vitamin essential for healthy growth of hair is vitamin A. It is naturally present in foods such as carrots, potato, pumpkin etc.
- Herb called saw palmetto is considered to be DHT blocker. It acts by blocking enzyme 5 alpha reductase.
- Green tea is also useful in blocking DHT due to presence of certain antioxidants.