The skin of lip is very thin compared to the skin of face. Lips get chapped and dry faster than the normal skin because it is devoid of sweat glands. Generally sweat and body oils keep the skin soft and protect it from extremes of temperature. As weather changes lips get affected faster and easily chap, dry and crack.
Causes Of Dry And Chapped Lips
- When the moisture around the lips is reduced, the lips are prone to get dehydrated which ultimately make them chapped and cracked.
- Persons who have the habit of licking their lips very often are more prone to get chapped lips than their counterparts.
- An allergic reaction can also be a reason for chapped lip.
- A chapped lip causes redness and inflammation around the mouth. You may notice cracks and fissure on the chapped lip, sometime the cracks may bleed.
- Over exposure to cold or to sun.
- Allergy to cosmetic products.
- Deficiency of vitamin B, C and A.
- Use of soaps and harsh chemicals to wash the face and lip.
- Certain medications.
- When the dentures are not fitting properly.
Cracked And Chapped Lips Remedies
Home remedies for chapped lips include:
- Use of lip balm.
- Drink plenty of water to get hydrated.
- Humidify your room during winter to keep away from winter dryness.
- Apply lip balm frequently when you have chapped and dry lip.
- Do not lick your lips as it will aggravate the condition.
- Cut a slice of fresh cucumber and rub it on the chapped lip. Cucumber is an effective home remedy for cracked and chapped lip. It also reduces pain produced by chapped lip.
- The juice of margosa leaves is also effective.
- Applying aloe vera gel on chapped lip is very useful especially in the months of winter or in dry windy atmosphere.
Home Remedy For Dry Chapped Lips
- Massage the lips with milk cream and Rose water. It keeps the lip moisturized and well nourished.
- Apply a mashed papaya on the lip and keep it for 10 to 15 minutes. Papaya contains some exfoliating enzyme which keeps the lip soft and moist. It is an effective home remedy for chapped lip.
- Eat carrots, green leafy vegetables, tomatoes and legumes. They contain vitamin A which is known to cure lip ailments.
- Eat less spicy food.
- Eat food rich in iron and vitamin B-complex. Deficiency of these vitamins can also be a reason for chapped lip.
- Cocoa butter is also an effective home remedy for chapped lip. Cocoa butter keeps the lip moisturized and cures the dry crack lip when applied regularly.
- If the chapped lips is caused by drooling at night. To protect the lip you can use zinc oxide ointment.