Congestion in the upper respiratory tract results in cough, nasal discharge and difficulty while breathing. When the bronchial tubes which move air in and out of the lungs get inflamed, congestion sets in. The air you inhale enters the nose and mouth and travels to the trachea. The bronchial tubes connect the trachea to smaller airways called bronchioles.
The bronchial tubes have a host of defense mechanisms to fight off foreign bodies and infections. One of the defense mechanisms is inflammation of the bronchial lining. In consequence to the inflammation, there is increased production of mucus which triggers cough and wheezing.
Congestion of the bronchial tubes is seen in bronchitis, asthma, pneumonia and in smokers. When the bronchial tubes get blocked and congested, you experience coughing, nasal discharge, wheezing, chest discomfort and pain and breathing difficulties.
Home Remedies For Clearing The Bronchial Passages
The following home remedies will proffer you relief from chest congestion. On the other hand, in case you have a chest infection, it is essential that you carry out the required tests and investigations, confer with your doctor and commence suitable antibiotic treatment.
- Have a humidifier in the room. A humidifier keeps the air moist, helping to remove the mucus from the airways. If the air is too dry, the mucus dries out, and stays in place and worsens the symptoms of bronchitis. Also, use a steam vaporizer. Drape a towel over the head to direct the moist air into your nose. This will clear up the airways appreciably.
- Herbal teas are very beneficial and clear the lungs and bronchi. The herbs have an expectorant action and help expel the mucous secretions causing the congestion. Ginger tea, mint tea, and turmeric tea proffer excellent benefits.
- Carrot juice also relieves congestion in the nose and throat. Mix carrot juice with a spoonful of honey and have at least 2 to 3 glasses daily.
- Cranberries clear up bronchial tubes as well. Boil the cranberries with some water. Simmer for 5 minutes, and then puree them in a blender. Strain, add some water and have 2 to 3 glasses daily.
- Limes and lemons help decongest too. Have the juice of one lime with honey and some water. This will eliminate the mucus build up in the nose, throat and chest rapidly. Furthermore, it will battle infection as well; thus dealing with bronchitis and pneumonia.
- Essential oils are recommended by natural health practitioners. Tea tree essential oil and eucalyptus essential oil are considered the most effective in managing respiratory infections and disorders. Add a couple of drops to your vaporizer and inhale the vapors; or add a couple of drops to a tissue and keep inhaling through the day; or massage a few drops on your chest.
- Do not suppress the urge to cough. Coughing is the body’s mechanism of throwing out mucus and obstructions in the airways. Keep tissues and napkins handy.
- Breathing exercises provide relief too. Take regular, deep breaths to encourage the airways to open up. Deep breathing exercises and Pranayama help tackle wheezing and breathing difficulties successfully.
- Vitamin C plays a pivotal role in managing most infections. Consume loads of limes, lemons, bell peppers, oranges, tomatoes and mangoes. You could also talk to your health care provider and start a vitamin C supplement.