Colitis Diet Treatment
Colitis sufferers will do well to follow certain dietary advice to help keep them from suffering from the pain of this ailment as well as help speed up the healing process. Here are some tips you might want to try:
- Taking in lots of fluid will help you heal faster from a bout with colitis.
- When trying to avoid and heal colitis, fatty foods and foods that are high in cholesterol should be avoided.
- High-fiber foods as well as spicy and highly seasoned foods should also be avoided.
- Vegetables and fruits like papayas, carrots, cabbage, and sweet gourd should be included in your diet and these would be better served steamed.
- Yogurt mixed with soft fruits is also a good addition to a diet for colitis sufferers.
- Try to avoid meat, junk foods and any food that has refined flour when you are suffering from colitis.
- Ripe bananas are a good addition to the diet of someone suffering from ulcerative colitis.
- Go for easy-to-digest foods and avoid difficult to digest items when you are suffering from colitis.
Ulcerative Colitis Diet
Intake of high quantity of water, taking smaller meals with small bites and chewing the food properly aids in proper digestion. Foods to avoid ulcerative colitis are caffeine based products, high fiber foods, and gas forming items like beans, nuts and seeds. Consulting a gastroenterologist for food supplements to be taken is beneficial. As a preventing measure, keeping a track of foods you eat helps in eliminating unwanted foods. Bland foods and fish oil due to the presence of high fatty acids helps in reducing possible attack.
Ischemic Colitis Diet
Intake of water melon, kefir (which tastes like yogurt drink) and soft desserts like sherbet and ice cream help in soothing the digestion. Other beneficial juice for healthy colon is wheat grass juice.