Catarrh is a common symptom which you may have suffered some time in your life. It is nothing but excess of mucus buildup in your nasal passages and in the throat as a result of inflammation of mucus membrane in nose and throat. You often experience flow of thick mucus when you suffer from common cold, flu, sinusitis, inflammation in throat and tonsillitis.
Causes Of Catarrh
When your immune system reacts to infective agents such as virus or the bacteria or irritants in the atmosphere which are inhaled, it releases white blood cells to fight the infection and the irritants. As a result white blood cells cause inflammation of the inner lining of the nose and the throat and produce mucus, a thick viscid fluid to trap the germs and its entry into the body. Due to inflammation, the nasal passage becomes narrow and you get a feeling of congested nose.
- Viral infection such as influenza and common cold virus.
- Bacteria infecting the tonsils and throat.
- Allergy to pollen and dust mites or food.
- Nasal polyps.
- Air pollution.
- Changes in weather.
- Eating Spicy food.
Natural Home Remedies For Catarrh
There are many catarrh natural remedies with proven efficacy to reduce your suffering, without causing any harm to your body.
- To start with avoid food preparations which you are sensitive to. Sugar, dairy products, bread prepared from white flour and processed foods for initial few days have to be avoided.
- Drink enough of water and eat fruits and vegetables, fruit juice and soups and herbal teas for one day. The next day eat rice and vegetables with little quantity of chicken or other protein food preparations. Add garlic, onion, while preparing food as they are natural decongestants.
- Take vitamin C and zinc supplements. Lemon juice or orange juice once or twice in a day is very useful natural catarrh remedy.
- To clear the nasal passage, inhale steam. You can add few drops of eucalyptus oil in water before inhaling the steam.
- The herb goldenseal has natural properties to relive catarrh symptoms. You can take capsules of powdered goldenseal once in a day when suffering from nasal catarrh.
- Gargle warm salt water when your throat and tonsils are inflamed. Salt has anti bacterial properties.
- To get relief from nasal block, use nasal saline spray or nasal saline drops.