Bloating and belching after eating food normally occurs when you swallow air with the food you eat, or due to gas produced in your digestive system.
Bloating after eating is caused when the gas does not pass out through belching or by the way of flatulence. This excess built-up of gas in the stomach and the intestine will make you uncomfortable, there may be mild to moderate pain in the stomach and the abdomen.
Causes Of Belching And Bloating After Meals
Causes of bloating: there is excess of gas in the stomach and the intestine.
- When you eat food rich in fats, it delays the emptying of food from the stomach and give a feeling of fullness.
- Smoking. While you smoke, you swallow the air along with the smoke, which can be a reason for bloating of abdomen.
- Constipation and gastrointestinal infection such as amebic colitis can also make you feel bloated.
- Irritable bowel syndrome and celiac disease can also cause bloating.
- Lactose intolerance.
- Certain carbohydrates foods and vegetables can produce more gas such as beans, broccoli, Brussels, cabbage, cauliflower, carbonated beverages, chewing gum, fruits such as apples, pear and peaches lettuce etc.
Belching often referred as burping is release of stomach gas through the mouth. Belching after eating is most often caused as a result of swallowed air when you eat and drink hurriedly or talk while you eat. Drinking through the straw or carbonated drinks can also cause belching. Sometimes medical reason are responsible for belching, they are an ulcer or hiatus hernia or gastritis.
Natural Remedies For Bloating And Belching After Eating
Belching in itself is self limiting, but if it persists for more time it is necessary to consult your doctor to find the root cause such as an ulcer or a hiatus hernia or gastritis.
However there are simple home remedies which can reduce bloating and belching and one of them is ginger.
- Ginger is known to relieve gas and facilitate food absorption. Drinking a cup of ginger tea after eating food can be effective home remedy for belching and bloating after eating food. You can also incorporate ginger in various cooking dishes.
- Yogurt is other useful home remedy for bloating and belching after eating. Eat a cupful of yogurt daily with your meals. It acts as a probiotic as it contains good bacteria which help to digest the food and absorb the gases.
- To prevent bloating and belching after eating, eat slowly, do not talk while you eat and avoid foods that are responsible to cause gasses in the abdomen.