Stomach upset is a common problem faced by many of us some time or the other. It is usually caused due to improper digestion of food. The reason may be due to over eating, uncooked food or eating more spicy food. The other common cause for your stomach getting upset is food poisoning and motion sickness while travelling.
Stomach Disorder Symptoms
The usual symptoms of stomach upset after eating include:
- Colicky pain.
Some of the symptoms like bloating, stomach pain etc. may start immediately while other symptoms may take some time to appear.
For centuries there are many home remedies that people use to calm down stomach upset.
Natural Cures For Stomach Upset
- You can chew few mint leaves when you get sensation of nausea after eating heavy food. Mint is known to relax the digestive system. It has mild anesthetizing effect on the smooth muscles of the stomach. This benefits when you from stomach pain. Mint is also useful in travelling sickness, drink mint tea or simply chew mint leaves when you feel nausea and vomiting while travelling.
- Lemon balm tea is another hone remedy used for stomach upset and stomach ache. Boil lemon balm leaves in 1 cup of water, steep and strain after 10 minutes. Sweeten the warm drink with 1 teaspoon of honey. You can add ginger for extra help.
- One of the natural cures for stomach upsets is papaya juice. Drink it after meals to prevent the upsets when it a common occurrence. Papaya contains enzymes which help digestion.
- To prevent frequent stomach upsets the other natural cure is with cayenne pepper. Sprinkle it liberally over your food; it tremendously helps to relieve all the digestive problems.
Home Remedies For Upset Stomach
- Among the fruits, pomegranate is best suited in stomach upsets. It acts effectively in diarrhea, nausea and vomiting in case your stomach is upset. Drink a glass of pomegranate juice or simply chew the seeds. You can sprinkle salt and black pepper to your taste.
- If you suffer from heart burn, eat raw carrots or a stalk of celery after meals.
- One teaspoon of ginger juice and one teaspoon of honey mix them together in a glass of warm water. Drink it twice in a day when you complain of stomach upset. The active ingredients of ginger are volatile oils and pungent phenol compounds which are responsible for the curing stomach upsets.
- Sometime chewing 2 to 3 cloves will relieve motion sickness which gives you stomach upsets. If you have previous history of motion sickness, chew 1 tsp 2 cloves at the start of the journey to prevent your stomach upset.
- Diarrhea caused as a result of stomach upset can be controlled effectively with yogurt. Drink one glass of yogurt after meals. The good bacteria present in yogurt help to fight diarrhea with its probiotic properties.