Sour stomach is a common disorder of digestive tract. Almost everyone may have had an experience of sour stomach sometime in their lives, especially after partying. Sour stomach is nothing new, it is excess of hydrochloric acid in the stomach that causes lot of discomfort, bloating, nausea or burping and pain in an individual.
What are the Common Causes Sour Stomach
There are several reasons for acid indigestion that can lead to sour stomach. Most of them are related to living a stressful life and bad eating habits. That means it is possible to minimize the symptom of sour stomach by altering your lifestyle and food habits.
One of the most common problems faced by many individuals is eating very late at night just before retiring to bed, may be due to changing lifestyle. You do not give enough time for the body to digest the food and before it does, you lie down. This leads to backup of acid into your food pipe which causes heartburn and burping. The key to solve this problem is simply eat two to three hours before you retire to the bed and do not lie down soon after you eat.
Apart from this; eating in hurry can cause acidity. Consuming fatty and fried food or spicy food can give rise to excess of acid activity in the stomach which ultimately leads to sour stomach.
Many times the problem of sour stomach has nothing to do with what type of food you eat or when you eat. Here the cause is different; alcohol and tobacco. Smoking or chewing tobacco can cause sour stomach. Drinking alcohol has the same effect on your stomach. They both are the triggering factors for developing stomach ulcer besides various other serious health issues.
There is undoubted association between the development of sour stomach and mental stress. Similarly anxiety is a significant factor in precipitating stomachache and sour stomach. Reducing stress and anxiety is the hour of need. Meditation helps to reduce stress and anxiety.
How to Get Rid of Sour Stomach
Most of the time sour stomach is mild and temporary; it is possible to deal with sour stomach with home remedies complimented with lifestyle alterations.
- Carrot juice is supposed to be a handy home remedy for sour stomach. After frenzy overnight party, when you feel heaviness, burping and nausea, drink half glass of freshly prepared carrot juice. Add fennel seeds if they are available, they will enhance the effect of carrot juice.
- Papaya: eating a slice or two of papaya helps to relieve the symptoms of sour stomach.
- Aloe vera juice: it is said to be the best home remedy for treating the symptoms of sour stomach such as nausea, bloating, and mild stomachache. The anti inflammatory and anti bacterial properties present in aloe vera help to relieve sour stomach.
- Tea: mint tea, green tea, fennel seed, cumin seed tea are all effective in reducing acidity and sour stomach complaint. In fact you can drink for some days when there is sensation of sour stomach.
How to Naturally Prevent Sour Stomach
- Your dinner should be 2 hours before you sleep. It is important to consume light food more of vegetable and fruits.
- Avoid fried food, sugary food, and fat food during dinner.
- Avoid more spicy food.
- Do not over eat.
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol.
- After dinner walk leisurely in fresh air for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Practice meditation and yoga, because sometimes stress and anxiety are the underlying cause.