What causes constipation and who are prone to getting this bowel problem? There are a few reasons why a person may become constipated and lifestyle, diet as well as certain ailments can be cited for this. Here are some of the more common reasons for constipation:
- One of the main reasons why a person may feel constipated is the lack of fiber in his or her diet. A high-fiber diet is essential when you want to be able to move your bowels easily.
- Another reason why a person may be constipated is when he does not take in enough liquids to make his stool soft enough for easy bowel movement.
- People who are inactive or lack physical activity can experience bouts with constipation. This was noted in people who had regular bowel movements but had to be inactive due to certain injuries. This is also prevalent in older people who also don’t move around too much due to old age.
- Medications can also cause a person to become constipated. Constipation that is brought about by medications is caused by medicines like diuretics, iron supplements, calcium channel blockers, antidepressants, and even pain medications.
- People who abuse laxatives and those who ignore the need to discharge waste when their body is telling them to can also become victims of constipation.
What Causes Constipation
Constipation is a result of slow passing of the food in the intestine. Other reasons are frequent suppressing of bowel movements and over use of stimulant laxatives which damages the colon. Constipation causes due to hypothyroidism and increase in the blood calcium levels. Constipation in women is a result of increased estrogen and progesterone levels during menses or pregnancy. Foods causing constipation are wheat and dairy products, ready protein rich foods, and iron and calcium supplements.