When you don’t want to experience the pain and the discomfort that constipation brings, you may want to undertake preventive measures to ensure that you do not suffer from this kind of an ailment. Here are some tips that might work:
- Try to set a schedule for your bowel movements so that your body will grow accustomed to this timetable.
- Daily walks and mild exercise every day will help regulate your bowel movement and help you avoid getting constipation.
- Diet is an important part of avoiding constipation and since constipation is sometimes caused by lack of fiber in your diet, increasing the intake of fiber in your meals can help you avoid this problem.
- When you feel like going to the bathroom to move your bowels, you should do so as soon as you can. Stopping yourself from moving your bowels when the need is there can also cause constipation.
- Always remember to drink at least six to eight glasses of water or healthy fluids like fresh fruit and vegetable juices every day.
- Try to avoid taking laxatives since these only offer temporary solutions and can cause your more problems in the long run.
To prevent constipation, avoid dehydrating beverages like alcohol and caffeine. Minimizing intake of gas forming vegetables, packaged foods and products made using white flour should be avoided. Exercises like walking and jogging also benefits in avoiding constipation. Avoid straining in the toilet as it puts stress in the internal system, chew food properly and always relax after meals as this helps in promoting bowel movement. Taking proper sleep and eating food only when you feel hungry is also recommended.