Cough is a symptom caused due to variety of reasons; it may be as simple as a tickle in the throat or as serious as bronchitis and pneumonia. There are several home remedies in your kitchen cabinet that are useful to suppress the distressing cough at home. If cough persists for more than two to three days or if it is associated with symptoms such as fever, chest pain, breathlessness and wheezing it is important to consult your physician, as it may be an indication of a serious underlying condition.
Causes Of Cough In Adults
As you know, cough is a reflex action of the body to clear the air passage and keep it open for comfortable breathing however excessive cough may be very irritating.
The causes of cough in adults can be as simple as tickling in the throat, dust in air, an influenza infection or more serious condition such as pneumonia. Other conditions which can cause cough are various allergies, pollen allergy cough is very common in North America, sneezing, watery eyes, itching in throat and soft palate may accompany allergic cough.
Smoker’s cough is a common cause among adults who smoke. Tobacco is an irritant and prolong tobacco smoking can cause chronic bronchitis.
Cough Suppressant Home Remedy For Adults
Most of the time cough can be easily treated at home with ingredients available in your kitchen cabinet to provide much needed relief. These cough suppressant home remedy are simple, safe and available any time in your kitchen. Besides they are less expensive.
- Honey is considered to be an effective cough suppressant home remedy for adults. Mix one teaspoon of honey in a glass of warm water. Drink it twice in a day. You can add a dice of lemon to enhance the taste. Besides lemon is rich in vitamin C, which acts as an antioxidant and boosts the immunity.
- Cut a lemon into four pieces, put powdered pepper and salt over the cut slice. Now suck lemon, it helps to reduce and suppress the cough to a great extent.
- To get relief from sore throat and suppress the cough, peppermint tea is the best home remedy. To prepare it boil one cup of water and add one teaspoon of dried peppermint. Drink the tea after five minutes.
- A mixture of onion juice and honey is also an excellent cough home remedy for adults.
- A tea prepared from holy basil leaves and aniseed is of great help in relieving cough. It suppresses the cough and cures your sore throat.
- Stop smoking.
- Drink plenty of water as water gives comfort to your throat, makes your mucus thinner and facilitates it to come out easily.