Flem in the throat is nothing but a viscous fluid that is present in the throat which we cough out very often in our routine life. Normally flem is produced by the mucus linings of the respiratory tract, it amounts to 20 to 50 ml which we cough out or swallow regularly.
But in certain illnesses the secretion of the mucus membrane of the respiratory tract increases and more flem is produced, which may get stuck in the throat giving you a constant feeling of irritation, you would like to clear your throat more often than it used to be normally.
What Causes Flem In Throat?
Here are some common causes associated with flem in the throat
- Large quantity of flem in throat is secreted in conditions such as influenza, bronchitis, inflammation in the throat, pharyngitis and inflammation of the larynx.
- Pollution, dust particles and pollens, chemicals are some external factors involved to produce flem in throat.
- Smoking is one of the most important reasons of constant feeling of flem in throat. It is the nerve endings present in the lining of the mucus membrane of air passages trigger a response to produce flem. The secretions of nose which drip back into the throat can also cause flem in throat. At times acid reflux also contributes towards production of flem.
Home Remedies For Flem In Throat
Before availing remedies for flem in throat, it is important to strengthen and boost your immune system. Depression, stress pull down your immune system and make conducive environment for the viruses and bacteria to invade the respiratory tract. Therefore relax and rest a bit from your regular and strenuous work schedule. Eat healthy food and stay away from eating all those junk food preparations.
Eat fruits and green leafy vegetables which contain vitamin C, as this vitamin is known to boost your immune system and prevent from colds and other viral infections. It is also necessary for you to maintain personal hygiene, wash your hands before meals. Keep a distance from persons, who are suffering from cold as the virus can settle in your respiratory tract by kissing, or sharing common handkerchief and other articles.
Here are some simple home remedies to treat flem in throat,
- Drink hot soups and tea to liquefy the flem. Chicken soups and tomato soups are known to expel flem easily.
- You can add some spices such as pepper, ginger and garlic to these soups. They are known to reduce the inflammation in your throat.
- Prepare tea from cumin seeds and ground pepper. Add one teaspoon of honey. Drink it regularly twice in a day. It helps to loosen the flem from your throat.
- Most effective flem in throat remedy is tea prepared from basil leaves. You can add ginger to enhance its effect.
- To clear flem in throat, add few drops of lemon juice and a teaspoon of honey in warm water. Drink it early in the morning and before retiring to bed. This flem in throat remedy soothes your throat as well as boosts your immune response.