You may find yourself waking up to a morning cough, which does not go away. The intensity and frequency of the cough depends upon the severity of the underlying condition, but by and large, a bout of cough tends to last for a few minutes in the morning.
A lifestyle modification and altering a few of your daily habits as well as adopting certain measures will help manage your morning cough.
Causes Of Early Morning Cough
- Smoking is the commonest cause for a daily morning cough. The most important indication of tobacco poisoning is a chronic morning cough. In extreme cases, a smoker may cough up blood in morning.
- Asthma results in morning cough as well. In an individual who has asthma, the respiratory passages get constricted; there may be some degree of inflammation as well, and consequently, the patient complains of cough and breathless in the morning on waking.
- Post Nasal Drainage: This can affect anybody in their sleep. Mucus present in the sinuses slowly drains back in to the posterior aspect of the throat, and this triggers discomfort and irritation. The discomfort worsens when one lies down, and hence he will complain of cough on waking in the morning.
- Gastro-esophageal Reflux Disease is known to set off a chronic cough in the morning. GERD is accompanied by acidity, heartburn, regurgitation in to the esophagus and abdominal discomfort; and is thus easy to diagnose. GERD causes irritation in the throat, and often produces a morning cough.
Natural Remedies To Get Rid Of Morning Cough
A few home remedies and medicinal foods can help manage a chronic morning cough effectively and rapidly. Alongside, you need to follow certain lifestyle changes and adhere to a wholesome diet too.
- Caraway seeds: Caraway seeds have always been touted as an excellent home remedy for the most obstinate of coughs. They act like an expectorant and help reduce mucus build up and clear up sinuses. Add about 5 spoons of caraway seeds to a big bowl of boil water; inhale the vapors emanating for 5 minutes. Do this at least thrice a day and more so, before lying down at night. It will afford immense relief.
- Eucalyptus essential oil: Sniffing at eucalyptus oil is beneficial as well. It soothes the lining of the respiratory tract, allays cough and nasal discharge and more importantly is useful in cases of asthma and bronchitis. You may also add a drop or two to hot water and inhale the vapors.
- Massaging the chest and back with eucalyptus oil mixed with sesame seed oil or almond oil will ease congestion and make breathing trouble free.
- Honey and turmeric: Turmeric is an anti inflammatory herb; which alleviates congestion, inflammation and swelling in the respiratory system effectively. Honey, helps soothe the lining of the bronchi and bronchioles. Blend 1 teaspoon of powdered turmeric with a tablespoon of honey and consume before going to bed.
- Onion juice: A lot of experts recommend onion juice to manage the condition well. Express juice from onion and add either jaggery or honey to make it palatable and consume every night before sleeping. Onion will drain sinuses, unblock them and prevent congestion from building up. It also tones up the tissues of the respiratory system.