Cysts on the face are referred to as sebaceous cysts or epidermal cysts or keratin cysts or epidermoid cysts or epithelial cysts.
A facial cyst is a small sac that is filled with keratin, the protective protein which lines the outermost layer of your skin. A sebaceous cyst develops when the keratin that ought to be on the skin gets trapped within the skin.
It is always prudent to visit and confer with your health care provider / dermatologist; given that, although extremely rare, some cysts can turn carcinogenic.
A sebaceous cyst develops when the outer layer of the skin; the keratin or the protein, gets covered up and embedded in the skin and gets trapped. It then gets sealed by new growth of skin.
Since sebaceous cysts are associated with sebaceous glands, they often contain fat. This fat can turn rancid; and bursting the cyst releases a very disagreeable odor.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Cysts On Face
Ideally, you need to consult a dermatologist; however, you may begin with these simple home-measures to manage the face cyst better.
- The first thing that you need to remember is – never break open a facial cyst. Breaking it open exposes the tissue beneath the skin, and makes it susceptible to infections. Bursting the cyst open also triggers excessive scarring, darkening of the skin and skin damage.
- The second most vital thing for you to do is, drink plenty of water; at least 3 liters per day. Water helps flush out toxins and helps skin conditions heal rapidly.
- Herbal teas are also recommended – ginger tea, basil tea, mint tea and chamomile tea are decidedly beneficial. Have 2 to 3 cups daily.
- Place a heating pad to the affected area daily, if possible, twice a day, for 2 weeks. Heat encourages the fatty sebum to drain from the cyst; also the cyst may burst any time. Make sure, that you take good care of a ruptured cyst, since the underlying tissues are exposed to infection. Clean well with antiseptic 3 times a day, until it finally heals completely.
- Aroma oils are exceedingly beneficial for face cysts. Tea tree oil is advised by most experts for the management of cysts. Apply neat tea tree essential oil to the cyst 3 to 5 times every day. The cyst will open up; and what’s more important, since tea tree is highly medicinal oil, the chances of infection happening are rare. Use the oil even after the cyst has ruptured. Thereafter, to prevent darkening and scarring; blend together, 2 drops of tea tree essential oil with 2 drops of lavender essential oil in 5 drops of almond oil. Massage this in to your skin and leave on for half an hour. Wipe thereafter and rinse off.
- Aloe vera is another effective home remedy. Apply the gel generously all over your skin; it expedites healing and improves skin texture as well.
- Alongside, make sure you eat loads of fresh fruits – apples, oranges, limes, grapes, pears, watermelon and guavas; these are loaded with vitamin A and vitamin C as well as potent anti oxidants for effective and quick healing.