An ovarian cyst is a small fluid filled capsule within the ovary, with very thin walls. Often an ovarian follicle (which releases the mature ovum or the egg), larger than two centimeters is referred to as an ovarian cyst. Though home remedies can be helpful in dissolving the cyst, a constant evaluation of the patient’s condition is essential as there is a high risk of the cyst turning malignant.
Causes of Ovarian Cyst
There are several factors that have been associated with increased risk of developing an ovarian cyst. These high risk factors include,
- Women with irregular menstrual cycle are commonly associated with highest risk of developing an ovarian cyst
- Increased distribution of fat in the upper part of the body is also seen as a risk factor
- Early menarche before the age of eleven years is associated with ovarian cysts
- Infertility or hormonal imbalance and hypothyroidism are also strongly linked with the possibility of developing an ovarian cyst
- Certain medications, often used for the treatment of breast cancer are also associated with ovarian cysts.
It should be noted that oral contraceptive pills reduce the risk of developing an ovarian cyst, since it prevents the ovaries from creating follicles
What are the Symptoms of Ovarian Cyst
Though most of the ovarian cysts are asymptomatic and are detected during routine physical examination. However, the condition may be associated with certain symptoms which include,
- Intermittent, severe and agonizing pain the lower abdomen, often brought on after a strenuous exercise
- Irregular menstrual cycles
- Sensation of fullness in the pelvic or the lower abdominal region, especially while urinating or passing stools
- Infertility is commonly observed in patients with ovarian cyst
- Bleeding or spotting between menstrual cycles
- Gastro-intestinal symptoms include nausea and vomiting
Natural Ways to get rid of ovarian cysts
There are certain life styles corrections and dietary modifications that can help one get rid of ovarian cysts,
- Avoid processed, tinned or canned food.
- Avoid alcohol, smoking, caffeine and other stimulants. These stimulates interfere with the body’s metabolism and can result in serious implications
- Increase the intake of fresh vegetables, fresh fruits, whole grain, dietary fiber, etc. These foods are rich in vitamins and minerals and beneficial to normalize menstrual cycle
- Exercise regularly and maintain an optimum body weight
Home Remedies for Ovarian Cysts
- Herbal tea is found to have profound benefits. Mint or chamomile tea is found to reduce pain
- Lime juice or freshly squeezed lemon juice is also beneficial in management of ovarian cysts
- Vitex berries, red raspberry, motherwort leaves are beneficial and should be consumed at least twice a day, by boiling them along with water.