Growing beard has become a trend nowadays. In fact it is a man’s privilege whether to grow beard or keep his face clean shaved. Some prefer to grow beard to look differently, while many other may keep beard as a symbol of manhood.
Sporting a beard is not a low maintenance affair as it looks to be.
Dandruff in beard is as common as dandruff in scalp. Although the skin cells slough off after a period of time in normal course, in dandruff more number of cells sloughs off. These dead skin cells accumulate in the form of dandruff flakes which fall on the clothing.
Dandruff in beard is not a serious health problem, but it is more embarrassing and annoying condition for men particularly for cosmetic reasons.
What Are The Causes Of Dandruff In Beard?
Most people are aware of dandruff in head and scalp, but dandruff can also occur in beard and other areas such as eyebrows. Scientists are still in dilemma to pin point the exact reason of dandruff. But it is believed to be due to an amalgamation of several triggering factors. They include dry skin, yeast infection and stress.
- The yeast which is responsible for dandruff is called Pityrosporum ovale. The yeast lives on skin surface and beard provides protection to it from ultraviolet light of sun, which normally does not allow its growth. Also the facial hair will sap the moisture away from skin leading to flaky and dry skin, thus the beard dandruff.
- Also, the dead cells of facial skin which usually is removed from the surface due to daily washing, remains entangled around the hair shaft to form dandruff.
- Stress is frequently associated with dandruff in beard. People having stress are likely to have dandruff on their scalp and beard area.
Natural Remedies To Get Rid Of Dandruff In Beard
Getting rid of beard dandruff completely is difficult, unless you keep your face clean shaved. However, there are many shampoos and other products that may help to keep it under control. One way is to maintain skin hydration. A good moisturizer helps to prevent flaking of underneath skin. Massage the moisturizer to prevent dry skin underneath the beard.
- Use dandruff shampoos available in medical stores. Wet your beard when you take a shower. Apply the shampoo on beard and keep it for a while before rinsing your face. Wash your face few times until all the shampoo is removed from the beard.
- Reduce stress as sometimes it accelerates skin flaking. Practice stress buster techniques such as yoga and medication.
- Maintain good personal hygiene. It helps to reduce dandruff. Drink sufficient amount of water. It helps to flush out toxins present in body. Drink at least 8 glasses of water in a day. Eat nutritious diet which contains all vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin E is a healthy food for maintaining the skin tone and its suppleness.
- Nourish your skin underneath the beard with jojoba oil or almond oil. These natural oils help to prevent dry skin and keep it supple and smooth. Rub small amount of oil on your face in the morning.