Itchy scalp is an annoying condition faced by many persons, especially if you do not take hygienic care of your hair and scalp. It is often accompanied by dandruff. When we do not wash the hair regularly, there is accumulation of dead skin cells on the scalp resulting into itchy scalp and dandruff.
Causes of Dry Itchy Scalp
- Dry scalp which lacks in oil can be the reason for itchy scalp. Use of strong shampoo, washing hairs frequently with warm water, using hair dryer frequently and dry atmosphere are some of the reasons for dry and itchy scalp.
- Dandruff is also one of the reasons of dry and itchy scalp.
- Seborrheic dermatitis, in this condition the scalp becomes oilier due to irritation of the oil glands in the skin. In males the cause may be related to male sex hormones.
- Sunburn over the scalp can cause itching and burning. The skin of the scalp turns red and inflamed and it is tender when touched.
- Scalp acne appears on the border of hairs. It is also causes itchy scalp.
- Folliculitis caused due to staphylococcus bacteria can give rise to itchy scalp with pus filled bumps on the scalp.
- Ringworm is another cause for itchy scalp.
- Head lice can cause itchy scalp, it is caused due to allergic reaction to the saliva of the head lice.
- Lichen planus.
- Allergic dermatitis.
Itchy Scalp Home Remedy
- Always use a mild shampoo for your hair. Refrain from using strong anti dandruff shampoos, they leach out the natural oils and make the scalp very dry and itchy.
- After shampooing, opt for natural conditioners such as honey, yogurt, lime, etc.
- While going out, do not apply oil on your hair as the dust particles can get stuck on your hairs and block the pores and cause itching scalp.
- If there is lot of sweating, clean your scalp regularly and wash your hairs.
- Avoid using a hair dryer, let the hair dry naturally. Steer clear of hair care and styling products, they make the scalp itchy.
Itchy Scalp and Dandruff Natural Remedies
Here are some simple home based natural remedies for the management of dandruff and itchy scalp,
- Warm some coconut oil. Add a few drops of lime in it; and apply all over the scalp. Leave on for 2 hours. Make sure you follow this regimen thrice a week.
- Pure aloe vera gel is an excellent hair and scalp remedy. Apply the gel on your scalp and keep for half an hour.
- You can also massage tea tree oil.
- Olive oil has a wonderful hydrating effect on the scalp and makes the hair soft. Warm the oil slightly and massage in to your scalp, using circular motions. Leave on for 1 hour. Ideally, you should wrap the head in a warm towel for at least half an hour after oil application.
- Milk and honey have a soothing effect on the scalp, fight flakiness and itchiness, and also improve hair texture. Honey is a fantastic moisturizer for the hair, while milk provides loads of essential nutrients. Blend together half a cup of milk and one fourth cup of honey. Massage this mixture in to scalp, leave for 1 hour, then wash off.