Skin bleaching, skin lightening or skin whitening refers to the use of some chemical substances or commercial skin whitening products to lighten the skin tone or even out the skin complexion by reducing the concentration of melanin. The nature sunblock called Melanin is the sole substance that gives color to the hair and skin.
Depending upon the shade of one’s skin, there are many home remedies that a person can use to obtain the desired skin tone or complexion.Since commercial products may not always be a practical choice, certain home remedies for whitening the skin can be used as an alternative.
How to Bleach Skin at Home
The following are a few instructions one can do to bleach skin at home:
- Applying hydroquinone-containing cream to darkened areas of the skin before bedtime. Hydroquinone is a safe ingredient and helps safely lighten the skin pigment.
- Combining equal parts of lemon juice and milk then saturating a clean absorbent fabric in the solution. Massage the wet cloth on darkened areas at least twice a day.
- Use two halves of a lemon with the juice. Massage it on the elbows or knees for quick treatment.
- A poultice of fresh mint leaves immersed in warm water can lighten the skin as well. Squeeze out the leaves until damp then apply to dark areas of the skin.
- Increase Vitamin C intake.
- Use sun block every day especially when getting exposed under the sun.
Bleach Skin at Home with Natural Remedies
The use of natural home ingredients for skin bleaching is an ideal method. They are cheap and effective especially if inculcated as part of one’s daily routine. Here are a few home ingredients to consider and how to use them:
- Mix a teaspoon of the following: honey, lemon juice and milk powder. Add ½ teaspoon of almond oil. Mix well and apply it on the face. Wash off the mixture after 10 or 15 minutes.
- Mixing oatmeal with tomato juice and curd. Apply mixture on the face and leave on for 20 minutes. Wash off with cold water.
- Potatoes are also known to have bleaching properties. Therefore, rubbing a peeled potato slice over the face can also help lighten the skin.
- Applying a mixture of turmeric powder and lime juice on darkened area of the skin. Remember that lime juice is a natural bleaching agent.
- Grind almonds that have been soaked overnight into a fine paste with the use of milk. Apply on darkened areas overnight. Wash the paste off with cold water in the morning. Continue this regimen for at least 15 days, followed by once or twice a week.
Natural Means to Bleach Skin and Avoid Skin Darkening
Here are simple methods one can do to bleach skin without getting the skin to darken:
- Avoid too much exposure to sunlight
- Drink plenty of water
- Include fruits and vegetables in your diet
- Always wash the face to keep it clean
- Take vitamin supplements that acts as anti-oxidants
- Exfoliate the skin.