The skin tone is attributed to a pigment called melanin, which is located in the dermal layer of the skin. High levels of melanin may result in darker appearance of the skin. Often the skin around the folds is darker, due to excessive accumulation of melanin, which includes the underarms, groin and the thighs.
What Causes Dark Skin
Some of the causes which are associated with dark upper lip and dark underarms include,
- Repeated and long term use of lipsticks, may result in the discoloration of the upper lip and make them darker. Recurrent applications may result in skin reaction which in turn may be responsible for inflammation and gradual darkening of the lips
- Prolonged exposure to the sun is another cause for darken lips and hyper pigmentation. Always apply moisturizing cream before stepping out in the sun
- Recurrent skin infections may result in dark discoloration.
- Some areas of the body are naturally dark namely the groins and the underarms. This darkening is due to the constant friction of the skin folds, which results in increased accumulation of melanin in the region
Dark Upper Lip Treatment
The treatment of dark upper lip includes reducing the excessive usage of lip color and protecting the skin from undue exposure to direct sunlight.
- Avoid using lipsticks with darker colors. Alternatively regularly remove the lipstick using a lipstick removal cream in order to avoid darkening of the skin
- Tanning of the skin is the most common cause of darker lips and hence it is useful if you apply sunscreen lotion while going out in the sun.
- Smoking of Cigarettes, increased consumption of tea and coffee result in staining of the teeth and also darken the upper lip.
- Constantly keep your lips moist by the local application of oil or cream is very beneficial. Dry or cracked lips can also result in dark discoloration of upper lips.
Cures for Dark Underarms and Thighs
Here are some simple home remedies for effective treatment of dark underarms and thighs,
- Local application of lemon juice is considered very beneficial. Direct application of lemon juice or mixture of lemon juice with equal parts of yoghurt and honey are also beneficial
- Local application of honey with glycerine is considered to be a great moisturizer and helps in lightening the skin.
- Almond is considered very effective in exfoliation and local application of almond oil can help in lightening the skin. Application for several days is required prior to see the benefits.