Diet for Diabetes
Diet is one of the main areas of concern for diabetes sufferers as well as for those who wish to avoid this ailment. Here are some ideas on the right kind of diet to have when avoiding diabetes or when trying to treat diabetes:
- Bitter gourd has been seen to positively help people who have problems with their insulin levels.
- Other foods that show the ability to lower blood sugar levels include celery, string beans, cucumber, and onions. Garlic also has the same effect as these other vegetables.
- When aiming for a diet that can help you avoid getting diabetes, focus on healthy foods that include vegetables, fresh fruits, and whole wheat products. Try to avoid processed foods, fatty foods, and high cholesterol items.
- Try to stick to a low calorie and low fat diet if you have diabetes. Avoid refined sugar at all costs. Substitute your sugar with natural sweeteners like honey.
- Try to avoid high sugar and high carbohydrate foods like cakes, biscuits, ice cream and bread.
- People with diabetes should also avoid drinking fluids that are high in sugar like synthetic fruit juices and soft drinks.
Also read about Foods and Diet Low in Cholesterol
Diabetes Diet Plan
Diet for diabetic patient should include healthy amount of carbohydrates and fiber rich foods as it benefits in controlling blood sugar levels. Foods to avoid diabetes are saturated and trans fats. To control cholesterol levels intake should be less than 200 milligrams per day. Monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats should also be in the list of diabetic diet list. Fishes such as coda and tuna which are low in saturated fats and fishes like omega-3 fatty acids which helps in keeping heart healthy are beneficial.