Ear infection is the most common infection among toddlers and children. Ear infection is also known as otitis media. It can be due to middle ear infection, or a boil or a furuncle in the outer ear canal. By and large, it is difficult to elicit the symptoms from a toddler, as they cannot communicate adequately.
On the other hand, when there are presenting features such as fever, pus discharging from the ear, etc, treatment ought to be stated promptly. Neglect can have disastrous effects.
Symptoms of ear infection in toddler include:
- Cold and a running nose are commonly seen. Ear pain is a common complaint when a toddler suffers from cold. It is due to the proximity between Eustachian tube and nasal sinuses.
- Low grade fever.
- The toddler may pull his ear as he may feel discomfort and pain.
- Excessive crying.
- The child is unable to sleep due to pain.
Symptoms Of Ear Infection In Infants
- Pain in the ear.
- Ear discharge – watery or pus.
- Ear is sensitive to touch.
- Nose block or running nose.
- An infant who is bottle fed has a high risk of ear infection than a breast fed baby.
- Infant is lethargic
- Loss of appetite
Natural Remedies For Ear Infection In Children
- Children suffering from ear infection, should be given fruits containing loads of vitamin C, like, limes, oranges, guavas, papayas, and mangoes. Vitamin C enhances the immune mechanism and battles the infection quickly. Consult your health care provider to prescribe a vitamin C supplement.
- To alleviate the pain, press a warm compress against the infected ear. You may also use a caraway seed compress to allay pain and discomfort. Roast 2 spoons of caraway seeds, fill in a soft muslin cloth and apply to the effected ear, 2 to 3 times during the day.
- Essential oils also afford immense relief from pain and expedite the process of healing. Blend one drop of garlic oil with 3 drops of tea tree oil. Add a base oil such as almond oil or wheat germ oil and gently massage the affected area. Thereafter apply the compress; this therapy provides excellent results.
- Ginger is an excellent home remedy for ear infections. Use fresh ginger or died ginger powder. Blend well with honey and give your child 3 times every day for a week. Ginger has many anti inflammatory agents which help reduce the swelling and inflammation. Ginger also helps fight infections rapidly by enhancing the body’s defense mechanisms.
- Turmeric in milk is recommended by most naturopaths. Boil one spoon of turmeric powder in a glass of milk. Turmeric has curcumin which is a powerful anti inflammatory agent and battles inflammations and infections quickly.
- Herbal teas are effective as well. Boil 5 basil leaves, 2 cardamoms and a bark of cinnamon in a cup of water. Add honey and give your kid 5 spoons frequently through the day. Herbal teas assuage pain and discomfort, ease swelling and bring down fever as well.
However, do consult your pediatrician for a compete check-up and to rule out any adverse complications. In case of severe infection, your doctor may advise starting a course of antibiotics.