The key to a healthy life is the right balance of eating nutritious food and physical activities. Some children tend to choose their meals, often leading to sweet and fatty food. It becomes a challenge for parents to formulate a solid plan on preparing meals for picky eaters.
Healthy Meals for Picky Eaters
It sounds impossible at first, but with these tips on hand, a healthy meal for that picky eater is within easy reach.
- Invite the children to take part in the preparation stage. Grow vegetables in the backyard’s vacant space and let the kids help with the gardening. Once they see the fruits of their labor, they would feel excitement over eating a meal that was prepared with home-grown ingredients.
- Healthy lunches or dinners are made more attractive by serving them in a creative manner. Make eye-catching dishes using a variety of colorful vegetables. Cut them into interesting shapes or sizes as well. Choose eating utensils that would also appeal to the kid’s interest.
- Create healthy versions of burgers, spaghetti and other typical favorite foods of kids. Chop some vegetables into fine pieces and add to burger patties for sandwich.
Easy Meals for Picky Eaters
When time is of the essence in the household, preparing quick and easy meals is the viable solution to feeding picky eaters.
- Add fresh milk and fruits to cereals or microwaveable ready-to-eat oatmeal.
- Yogurt comes in delicious flavors, which can be appealing to children. Allow them to choose the flavor they like, and then serve it with fresh fruits as well.
- Pack sandwiches made with whole-wheat bread by filling it with tasty choices like peanut butter, ham or chicken salad.
- Make pizzas from wheat bread using low-fat cheese and chopped vegetables.
- Milk or soy milk is ideal for a healthy meal.
- There are plenty of recipes that only involve stir-frying ingredients into one delightful dish. Include a side dish of colorful vegetables and milk.
Low Calorie Meals for Picky Eaters
Picky eaters tend to indulge themselves in fattening, oily foods. Maintain a low-calorie meal through these tips:
- If the green leafy vegetables on a sandwich don’t seem to gain attention, try substituting with sliced apples. Not only are they crunchy, but apples are rich in vitamin C and protein too.
- Most picky eaters don’t like to eat vegetables. Incorporate these into their diet by blending them in a food processor. Combine fruits for a touch of sweetness.
- Include fiber-rich foods like bran, flax seed and oatmeal into the batter that is used to make chicken nuggets. You can also add these into the salads, gravy and sauces.