Dealing with Edema
Edema is a condition that affects certain body cavities, organs, and areas under the skin wherein fluid accumulates. This fluid accumulation could be dangerous especially when the affected organs are vital, including the brain which can cause loss of consciousness or drowsiness in the patient.
Still, it is not always a cause for alarm as most cases of edema are easily manageable and are not dangerous. Often, edema is observed in the extremities of patients experiencing certain medical conditions. This also holds true in pregnant women when fluid pools at the legs. The edema in pregnant women often goes away after she gives birth and is just harmless.
Still, edema can cause discomfort in the patient so that it is always a good idea to help prevent the patient from experiencing this condition. One way to prevent this is through following a strict diet and exercise regime that was advised by the doctor. Keep moving as this can help in reducing the swelling.
Because edema can be made worse by excessive salt in the body, the main consideration when applying home remedy for the ailment is to limit the intake of body salts. Doing so will not only assure that there will be a limited amount of fluid that may be leaked by the capillaries but it will also diminish the swelling caused by edema. Aside from limiting salt intake, the following are also recommended home treatments for edema:
- Apply heated mustard oil over the affected area. This will reduce the swelling while providing soothing relief. For those who do not like the oily feeling, an alternative is to soak 2 tsp of mustard seeds in water. Use this solution to soak the affected part.
- Drinking apple cider vinegar is also known to be good for edema cure as it removes the excess fluids from the body and cavities.
- Refrain from eating foods that are rich in carbohydrates. If complete avoidance of such foods cannot be complied with, the patient should at least try to minimize the intake of such foods. This is because foods rich in carbohydrates are strong retainers of water.
- Boil a few tablespoons of coriander seeds in two cups of water. This is good for edema and should be taken in whole.
- It is also a good idea to have someone massage the part with edema. The massage should be done gently so as not to injure the affected areas.