Swollen feet are a common medical symptom which you come across many times, especially in elderly individuals. Referred to as edema of the feet, swollen feet are attributed to a host of causative factors. There are certain natural remedies that are found effective in the management of swollen feet.
What Causes Swelling Of Feet And Legs?
Swollen feet causes can be attributed either to local factors or to systemic factors.
Systemic factors for swollen feet include a wide range of metabolic and endocrinal disorders,
- Hypothyroidism is considered to be an important factor for swollen feet.
- Cardiovascular disorders including congestive cardiac failure is primarily responsible for edema in the lower extremities
- Kidney disorders including renal insufficiencies result in retention of water in the body which in turn can result in swollen feet
- Obesity is another factor which is considered to contribute towards frequent swelling of the feet.
- Rheumatoid arthritis or gout are joint disorders, which can affect the feet and result in swelling in the feet.
In addition to these factors there are host of other factors including menstruation and pregnancy which can result in natural retention of fluids in the body, resulting in swollen feet. Use of oral contraceptive pills is also linked with swelling in the feet.
Remedy for Swollen Feet and Ankles
As there are many underlying reasons for swollen feet, it is necessary to consult your doctor to diagnose the underlying condition. Meanwhile there are certain home remedies for swollen feet which can try upon along with the regular treatment.
- One of the most important home remedy to start with is to eat food having diuretic properties. Parsley and barley water are efficient natural diuretics; they possess the ability to flush out excess of body fluids naturally through the urine.
- Another important home remedy for swollen feet and ankles is sponging with cold water.
- Add a pinch of magnesium sulfate powder in a bowl of cold water. Let the powder dissolve, now take a clean cloth and dip it in the water. Dab the area with wet cloth for five to ten minutes until the cloth gets dry. Repeat it for twenty minutes, twice in a day.
- Reduce the intake of salt in your diet when the underlying cause is cardiac or kidney disease. Avoid canned and processed foods as they contain excess of salt. Salt retains excess of fluid in the body.
- Cucumber is also an effective home remedy for swollen feet and legs. Cucumber is able to absorb excess of body fluids. Apply cucumber slice over the swollen feet and wrap them with a loose bandage. You can also drink cucumber juice as a diuretic.
- Reduce your obesity if you are overweight. Exercise regularly and change your lifestyle it helps to improve circulation.
- Avoid standing and sitting for long time. Take a break in between and walk.
- Keep your legs elevated while lying down with a pillow under your feet.
- Use of support stockings is also beneficial for swollen feet.