Burning sensation in the ears is a common experience when you get angry or when you eat spicy and hot food. This type of burning is normal physiological process caused by flushing and sudden rush of blood to your ears and face, as a result of vasodilatation. The condition lasts for a brief period.
We will discuss ear burning sensation having organic cause which is experienced by people having medical conditions.
Burning Sensation In Ears Causes
Causes of ears burning sensation:
When you have frequent burning sensation with redness in the ear, it may be related to some health problems; along with it there can be associated tingling and numbness.
- Direct ear injury on the outer ear can cause sensory nerve damage resulting in burning and numbness sensation in the ear.
- Peripheral neuropathy is a condition caused due to damage to the peripheral nerves of the skin. It can occur in any part of the body and ear is no exception.
- Trigeminal neuralgia can cause burning sensation in ears. Inflammation in trigeminal nerve, a cranial nerve gives rise to trigeminal neuralgia.
- Diabetes, especially poorly controlled diabetes can give rise to outer ear burning sensation due to peripheral neuropathy.
- A boil or furuncle can cause burning sensation and pain in the inner ear.
- Burning sensation in the outer ear can be due to herpes zoster.
- Sunburn, chemical burns, extreme, cold, allergies are some other causes of your ear burning sensation.
Ear Burning Sensation Treatment
Since many reasons are involved for ear burning sensation, a proper history and diagnosis is necessary for further evaluation and treatment.
The treatment is possible after zeroing the cause.
- Apply aloe vera gel on the outer ear when the cause is sunburn, or a chemical burn. It alleviates the burning symptom.
- Use of antibiotics and anti inflammatory medication in case of a boil or a furuncle when burning sensation is in the inner ear.
- Anti viral medicine when ear burning sensation is in the outer ear due to herpes zoster.
- Control of diabetes, vitamin supplementation is helpful to relive ear burning sensation.