Choking Feeling in Throat
A patient that feels choking sensations in the throat may feel that there is something that is stuck in the throat. The degree of the sensation may vary and can be accompanied by chest pains, throat inflammation, voice problems, tightening of the throat, and difficulties and pain in swallowing.
Medical terms that are used to describe choking sensations in the throat include Globus Hystericus, Globus Pharyngis, and Globus. Each of these terms has its own specific characteristics but commonly brings about a choking sensation.
Choking Feeling in Throat Causes
There are several causes that lead to the condition. Some are minor ones while there are those that need medical help. These causes include the following:
- Anxiety and Stress. Muscles that are found in the throat contract in response to anxiety or stress. Patients under such conditions may experience that there is something obstructing the throat that cannot be removed by swallowing or by gulping any kind of fluid.
- Strep Throat. This is the inflammation of the throat which is commonly caused by viral and bacterial infections.
- Gastroesophageal Reflux. Symptoms of this condition include heartburn which is caused by the backflow of acid and food particles from the stomach that passes through the esophagus. Constant backflows can lead to esophageal damage which can develop a choking feeling.
- Tightening of the Cricopharyngeal Muscle. The cricopharyngeal muscle prevents swallowed food from coming back out in the mouth. When this sphincter muscle tightens it causes muscle spasms that make patients feel that something is stuck in the throat.
- Mass on the Neck. These masses can be granulomas, malignant tumors, cysts, swollen lymph nodes, mucosal lesions caused by ulcers or trauma, or enlargement of the thyroid. In rare occasions, the mass can develop when the esophagus is encircled by the thyroid gland.
- Anatomical abnormalities which can be brought about by overgrowth of some tissues in the throat.
What to do with Choking Feeling in Throat?
Remedies for such a condition or feeling depend on the factor that had caused it. Below are some of the options that patients can do.
- When the choking feeling is caused by anxiety and stress, lifestyle changes are recommended which will include applying relaxation methods such as meditation and other exercises.
- Dietary and lifestyle changes together with certain prescription drugs are needed to remedy choking symptoms brought about by gastroesophageal reflux.
- Infections like strep throat can be treated by the use of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Surgery may be required to remove certain masses on the neck and correct anatomical abnormalities.