A hoarse voice is one of the common problems people have that almost everybody experiences. Sometimes, a hoarse voice is experienced when a person wakes up from a long nap, or it could be caused by various health concerns. A characteristic of a hoarse voice is when the person has difficulty in speaking, changing the volume of his or her voice, or emitting an abnormal pitch when talking.
What Causes a Hoarse Voice?
There are a number of reasons that may contribute to a hoarse voice. Having a hoarse voice can be a result of the following factors:
- Cough, colds, and flu or a viral infection
- Singing or shouting for a long period of time or frequently
- Problems on the respiratory system that include the following: tonsillitis, laryngitis, and bronchitis.
- Stroke and surgery can cause paralysis of the neck causing hoarseness of voice.
- Throat, thyroid, or lung cancer
- Gastroesophageal reflux
- Aneurysm of the upper aorta
- Mononucleosis, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease
- Throat irritants that are inhaled
- Excessive use of alcohol can dry up the throat.
- Smoking is always dangerous for health
- Drinking too cold or too hot beverages
- Speaking or singing in a dusty environment for long periods.
Home Remedies for Hoarse Voice
Hoarseness of the voice, also known as dysphonia, is not actually a big thing but it may be a result of a condition that is fatal. This is why this problem must be dealt with accordingly. Some of the ways to treat a hoarse voice include the following:
- Rest the vocal chords if too much talking or shouting caused it. Not talking for some time enables the vocal chords to heal.
- Speak in a natural tone of voice and in an average pitch.
- Drink plenty of lukewarm water.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine to prevent drying up the throat.
- When suffering from reflux, avoid acidic foods and lie in fowler’s position.
- Ensure getting adequate amount of rest.
- Inhale from a cup of hot water that has a few drops of eucalyptus oil for at least 10 minutes.
- Drink two cups of warm milk added with some black pepper for two times a day.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt to a cup of hot water and use it to gargle.