There are clusters of lymph nodes distributed all over the body. Lymph nodes are tiny bean like structures, and they are part of the lymphatic system. Lymphatic system caries the lymphatic fluid called lymph. Lymphatic system is a part of body’s immune system and lymph nodes act as soldiers which filter the dead materials of the tissue, the bacteria and viruses.
Swollen Lymph Node in Throat Causes
Lymph node often swells when there is an infection, injury or a tumor in and around the area of its drainage. In fact it indicates the area where there may be an ongoing infective pathology. For example if the lymph nodes on either side of throat, or under the jaw or on either sides of ear are swollen the most probable cause can be common cold infection. Swollen lymph glands in the throat can be due to tonsillitis or strep sore throat.
Swollen Lymph Nodes in Throat with a Sore Throat
Sore throat is discomfort and scratchy feeling in the throat. In majority of cases sore throat is caused due to virus infection. The common bacterial infection is strep infection. strep sore throat often present with symptoms such as high fever, pain in throat with difficulty in swallowing, white patches on the throat, and swollen and painful lymph nodes in the neck. Swollen lymph nodes can be on both sides of the throat or they can be on either sides of the throat and neck. The size of lymph nodes will recede as soon as the underlying condition is healed. Drinking a lemon tea or warm salt water gargling are time tested treatment for sore throat. Warm water compresses are beneficial to soothe painful lymph nodes in the neck.
Swollen Lymph Node in Throat Treatment
As you know that swollen lymph node in throat may a symptom of the underlying condition, it is important to recognize the disease and treat it.
- In case if the lymph glands in the throat and the neck are swollen due to virus infection, they can recede to their normal size after few days without any rigorous treatment.
- If the condition is due to bacterial sore throat, you may require further investigation and doctor’s opinion. However salt water gargling is beneficial in sore throat.
- Pain and swelling of lymph node in throat and neck in either case can be effectively treated by applying warm compresses.
- If the reason is cancer, your doctor will suggest chemotherapy or radiation as he finds what is suitable to the patient.
- Rest is as important as any other treatment in recovery from the disease.