Estrogen is a very vital hormone in the body; it helps sustain female traits as well as reproductive functioning. The hormone is synthesized in the ovaries and adrenal glands. Estrogen is also taken in to the body from the meat you consume that has been injected with hormones and pesticides, (known as xeno-estrogens) but our body responds to them as natural estrogen.
Excess estrogen occurs when the body manufactures or takes in large amounts of the hormone. It even occurs when levels of other hormones, such as progesterone, reduce, thus making estrogen the prime hormone.
The chief sources of xeno-estrogens are pesticides, soaps, detergents, cosmetics, petroleum products, plastic products, spermicides used for birth control in condoms, diaphragm jellies, and other gels.
Signs And Symptoms Of Excessive Estrogen
- The primary manifestation of excess estrogen is weight gain, and the weight accumulates around the waist, hips, and thighs. Surplus estrogen synthesizes more fat, and more fat manufactures more estrogen, since estrogen is also manufactured in the fat cells. This generates a constant cycle of excess estrogen and obesity.
- Irregular menstrual period is another very significant manifesting feature of having too much estrogen in the body. There could be either excessive bleeding or very little bleeding, and an increase in the intensity of the PMS or the pre-menstrual symptoms. Breast tenderness and abdominal bloating that is commonly seen before the commencement of the period is known to become more severe in these cases.
- A whole host of mental and emotional symptoms are known to develop as well. Frequently seen features include – anxiety, agitation, irritability, depression, mood swings, social withdrawal, memory loss, and exhaustion.
Natural Ways To Treat Estrogen Dominance
The symptoms of estrogen dominance or elevated levels of estrogen in the body can be significantly managed and even sometimes turned back by balancing the surplus estrogen by administering natural bio-identical progesterone hormone. This is the foundation for the treatment of the condition.
- Experts and naturopaths claim that the Wild Yam (Dioscorea Villosa) is an excellent home remedy for the management of the symptoms of estrogen dominance. Wild Yam is packed with a compound known as Diosgenin which is the active biochemical constituent with progesterone properties. It is a vital source of bio-identical progesterone. In its natural unadulterated form, the Wild Yam can work wonders when it is converted in to bio-identical progesterone.
- Also, another natural remedy for the condition is milk thistle. This remedy works by decreasing your exposure to environmental toxins or xeno-hormones. Milk thistle or the chaste tree helps the body get rid of exogenous, (external sources of the hormone estrogen naturally.
- Our body normally synthesizes 20 mg of progesterone every day. Replacing this amount in natural cream form is recommended in most cases, especially, in cases of undue depression, mood swings and memory loss.
- Importantly, you need to ensure that you eat right. A wholesome diet is vital in the successful treatment of estrogen dominance. Steer clear of foods that are processed and packed in plastic containers. Incorporate loads of fresh fruits and vegetables to your daily menu. Also, reduce your meat consumption.
- Keep away from too many cosmetics and soaps and other skin care products.
- Furthermore, daily exercise for 30 minutes is a must. Maintaining an ideal body weight is crucial for normal hormone synthesis.