Fever in babies and infants is one of the most feared symptoms for parents; it can make you totally paranoid, more so, when the fever is high and / or the baby is only a couple of weeks old.
The baby is warm to touch and will be crankier than usual. A fever is an indication that the body is battling an infection. Take the baby’s temperature and confer with your pediatrician to start prompt and timely treatment.
Also, the baby’s appetite will have reduced, he will show no interest in play, sleep decreases, he may be lethargic; occasionally, there can be seizures too. Other accompanying features could be – cough, cold, nasal discharge, snuffling, and diarrhea.
A fever is a symptom of a disorder / infection in the body. It usually indicates that your body is battling some illness / infection and the immune system is functioning as it should.
Commonly seen causes for fever in babies include:
- Ear infection
- Urinary tract infection
- Stomach infection
- Reaction to vaccination
- Overheated from being dressed too warmly or spending a lot of time outdoors on a hot day.
Natural Remedies To Reduce Fever In Infants
If your baby is under 5 months and has a fever, you must talk to your pediatrician immediately.
- Place wet wash cloths on the baby’s forehead and belly; change the cloths frequently. Do not use very cold water; use tap water. Cold water makes the child shiver and that further increases the temperature to counteract the shivering; so it could be counter-effective.
- Give the child lots of water and liquids to prevent dehydration.
- Do not give your baby a fever-reducing medicine without consulting your health are provider. It is vital that you talk to your pediatrician for advice and reassurance.
- Offer your child chilled foods, such as – cold water, ice pops and yogurt; this helps him cool down from the inside and also keeps him well hydrated.
- Use a fan to cool the child. Let the fan be at a low setting and let air circulate around him rather than blow air directly on him; he should not feel chilled.
- Make him wear a light layer of clothes, avoid swaddling. Get rid of layers of clothing so that he can lose heat easily through her skin. In case of shivering, give him a light blanket until he is warm again.
- Ginger powder is an excellent natural anti-inflammatory agent. Given a pinch of the powder mixed with water. It helps deal with inflammation in the body and also brings down the temperature.
- If your child is less than 3 months old, you must call your doctor at once. Never neglect; timely treatment management is essential.
- Furthermore, no matter what your child’s age is, it is always prudent to call the pediatrician in case there are other associated symptoms as well, like – breathing difficulty or a skin rash.