Viral fever is simply a fever and related symptoms caused by viruses. Still, it is not as simple as it seems. Viral fever could actually encompass a broad spectrum of conditions where the body temperature is elevated. Still, the main condition is that the high body temperature is caused by a virus.
Viral Fever Symptoms
Understanding what the symptoms of viral fever can truly help in diagnosing the ailment. Of course, different patients will show different symptoms, with some having more severe symptoms than others. The following are some of the symptoms associated with viral fever:
- Fever. This is often remittent or on and off. This fever could be classified as low grade or high grade.
- Fever can be accompanied by malaise, fatigue, and body aches. Other symptoms that accompany viral fever include:
- Muscle pain
- Joint pain
- Skin rashes
- Runny nose
- Nasal congestion
- Inflammation of the pharynx
- At times, the viral fever could also present the following symptoms:
- Joint swelling or arthritis
- Bleeding – affecting various internal organs and the skin
- Swelling of the lymph nodes
Viral Fever Causes
- Viral fever is caused by a wide range of viruses.
- These viruses are introduced into the body through various means, including inhalation, direct contact, intake via food or drinks, or direct introduction into the blood stream. It could also be caused by sexually transmitted diseases.
- There are a number of carriers and vectors that could cause the viral fever, including mosquitoes.
- The duration of the infection could actually last for just a few days or even up to several weeks.
- When the virus enters the body, it will go through an incubation period. This is the time when it rapidly multiplies until it reaches the threshold that can cause the infection.
Viral Fever Home Remedy
- There are no exact remedies for viral fever and infections. Still, the consolation here is that viruses do not usually cause severe ailments and would go away on their own.
- Thus, remedies for viral fever actually target the symptoms, not the ailment itself.
- Because of this, remedies for viral vary, depending on the symptoms presented by the patient.
- Some possible treatments include:
- Increase fluid intake, use tasty soup or broth but water is also a good option
- Soaking in lukewarm water for about 5 to 10 minutes. Warm sponge bath will also do.
- Apply a wet cloth on the forehead to control the temperature as whole body is governed by the brain.