Gas, or flatulence, as called in medical terminology; is air that is trapped within the intestine. The commonest cause is consuming too much of fiber rich foods.
Some of degree of flatulence is quite natural; nevertheless, in order to manage extreme cases of gaseous distension, here are some proven and efficient home remedies.
Causes Of Stomach Gas
Causes of formation of gas in the stomach are:
- Certain foods, such as, legumes, pulses, soy, whole grains, refined foods, fatty foods, spicy foods, carbonated drinks, etc., produce large amounts of gas. Dairy products are likely to cause excessive gas in individuals who have lactose intolerance.
- Frequently, you do not even realize, but you end up swallowing large quantities of air while eating. This happens when you eat hurriedly, use a straw, or talk too much while eating.
- GI disorder and derangements are an important pathological cause for flatulence.
- Hormonal changes occurring during menstruation, pregnancy and menopause trigger excessive flatulence in women.
- Consuming a very heavy meal is another important cause
- Also, staying hungry for long periods of time causes flatulence.
- Certain drugs and medications are significant causes too.
Gas Relief Home Remedy
The following home remedies proffer quick and effective relief from flatulence:
- Garlic soup
Garlic soup helps decrease intestinal gas, and also enhances digestion. Blend together 3 cloves of garlic with 1 spoon cumin seeds, 1 spoon black pepper and 2 spoons coriander seeds. Let this mixture simmer for 10 minutes. Consume after meals.
- Cumin seeds
A decoction of cumin seeds is the most common home remedy for flatulence. Cumin seeds dispel gas, reduce pain and discomfort in the abdomen almost immediately and pep up digestive power. Boil 2 tablespoons of cumin seed in 1 bowl of water for 15 minutes. Have this decoction once daily.
Grate ½ an inch of ginger, and mix it with a little bit of jaggery. Consume this mixture immediately after meals. It works as an instant gas reliever.
Natural Cure For Stomach Gas
- Mint: Consume mint tea before lunch and dinner. Boil about 10 leaves in a bowl of water and have it half an hour before meals. Mint is a wind reliever and an excellent carminative. It eliminates gas and wind and perks up working of the GI tract.
- Peppermint essential oil: rub 2 drops of the peppermint essential oil on your belly, gently. Gentle massage in circular movements breaks up wind instantaneously.
- Eliminate fatty foods, caffeinated drinks, white flour, and aerated beverages from the diet: these foods are known to induce flatulence, hence, steer clear of them.