Freckles are flat, smooth tiny dark spots on skin surface that form after overexposure to UV rays of sunlight. It is the reaction of melanin pigment present in skin to sunlight. These spots are in fact hyper pigmentation which may vary in color from dark brown, red or tan. Freckles are commonly seen on sun exposed areas of the body such as the face, arm, neck and shoulder.
In medical terminology freckles are known as ephelides. This tiny skin spots on nose may be few in numbers or they may cover the entire external nasal skin. Unlike age spots and moles, freckles fade in winter and become prominent in summer due to sun exposure.
Freckles are harmless skin lesions, but they are unsightly especially when they are in large number on face and nose. Many people feel low esteemed and annoyed when freckles are present on their nose. People seek treatment for cosmetic reasons. There are several home remedies and clinical measures to remove freckles on nose.
What Causes Freckles On Nose?
Freckles result when there is uneven distribution of melanin pigment in the skin. Melanin pigment gives color to the skin. It also protects the skin from sunlight. Freckles are usually seen in fair skinned individuals. This is because fair people have less number of melanin pigments in comparison with people of darker complexion. Therefore fair persons are more sensitive to sunlight.
Melanin pigment is produced by melanocyte cells in the skin. When fair individuals are exposed to sunlight the melanocytes starts producing more melanin pigments to protect the skin. However, these melanin pigments do not get evenly distributed and instead they get concentrated at some areas to become dark spots which we call freckles.
Since the nose is exposed to sunlight, nasal skin is more susceptible to freckling. The spots may be sporadic or seen to be grouped together to cover larger area of the nose. Anyone can have freckles on nose, but some people are more likely to develop freckles. People who have red hair and green eyes with fair complexion are more likely to have freckles on their body. Hereditary factor is not ruled out as many people have family history of freckles.
How To Treat Freckles On Nose?
Most people who have freckles on their face and nose have learned to live with it. However, there are many others who may not like these dark spots. They feel them to be unsightly and seek ways to get rid of them or at least fade the freckles. There are several ways to remove freckles, but at the same time people should know that freckles can come back if they are overexposed to sunlight.
- Apply sun screen on your face and nose when you go out in the sun. Also wear a hat if you have to remain out in the sun for long period.
- Laser surgery is one of the ways preferred by dermatologist to remove freckles. Intense pulsed laser (IPL) is used to remove the dark spots. Laser removal of freckles is costly and it requires to be done at doctor’s office, but at the same time it is safe.
- Apply creams which contain hydroquinone. It is a chemical which helps to lighten the dark skin spots. Eventually the spots become of similar color with rest of the skin. You have to use the cream for several weeks for a good outcome. However, consult your doctor before using the cream as some people may be having allergy to many chemicals including hydroquinone.
- Freckles on nose can be removed with dermabrasion, a technique used by dermatologists which scrubs away the freckles from nasal skin area.
Natural Ways To Fade Freckles On Nose
Freckles on nose can also fade by using the following home remedies:
- Cut few slices of potatoes and soak them in one cup of buttermilk. After 10 minutes take out the slice and rub it on the nose. Wash the area with water and pat it dry. Repeat the procedure four times in a week.
- Squeeze a lemon to extract its juice. Add one teaspoon of honey to make it an even paste. Apply the paste on your nose and keep it for 10 to 15 minutes. Wash your face with water. See that the juice does not enter the eye.
- Take one ripe banana and mash it till it forms a pulp. Add mint juice or crushed mint leaves to it. Apply the prepared paste on your nose. Let it remain for 15 minutes. Wash your face with water. Repeat it regularly for few weeks to fade freckles on your nose.