When you find your toenail discolored either to black or yellow or white with gradual thickening and losing its shape, it hints that you are suffering from fungus under your toenail.
Paranoychia or onychomycosis as it is called in medical terms is usual fungal infection of nail. It is highly infectious disease, which occurs when you remain in warm and damp areas for a longer time, or use public gyms, showers or swimming pools.
It also occurs when you wear tight fitting shoes and wet socks for long hours as it happens in athletes.
Fungus Under Toenail
Fungus under the toenail though not symptomatic in the early stage can be a painful thing later on. As the fungus starts to spread underneath the nail, it emits a foul odor and at times there is pus formation under the nail.
However you can get rid of fungus under the toenail with home remedies, if you begin toenail fungus treatment as soon as it is detected. Black toenail occurs when the fungus which feeds on the keratin has completely destroyed the nail.
In the beginning the fungus turns your nail white and in powdery form, it turns brittle and gets chipped from the anterior side, gradually the toenail turns yellow as there the keratin starts destructing.
Natural Remedies For Toenail Fungus
There are many home remedies used effectively to get rid of fungus under toenail.
- Tea tree oil is one of the most effective natural remedy to get rid of toenail fungus. Dip a cotton ball in the oil and apply it gently on the affected toenail. Tea tree oil has a great anti fungal property.
- Another effective remedy that can be thought of is Listerine mouth wash. Soak your black toenail in Listerine mouth wash. It contains compounds like alcohol, euchalyptol, and salicylate thymol, they act together as a strong anti fungal agents for the nail fungus. To enhance the effect you can add apple cider vinegar which is highly acidic.
- To control white toenail fungus, soak your toes for 15 minutes in a bucket of water with equal quantity of apple cider vinegar. Dry your toenails thoroughly after that as moisture will allow spreading the disease.
- Dab lavender essential oil and tea tree oil on the affected toenail with a cotton ball, two times in a day. It is effective to treat white fungus in toenail.
- Include unsweetened yogurt in your diet. It acts as a probiotic and helps to control the growth of fungus infection.
- Rub onion slice over the affected toenail twice in a day.
- Wash your feet and dry them properly after visiting public swimming pools or gyms. Wear slipper when you walk on the floors of swimming pool.