Lips are the visible part of the mouth in humans. Lips have many functions such as holding the food in the mouth, articulating sound and speech. Besides, being highly sensitive, lips can become erogenous during the act of intimate kissing.
Compared to the skin of face, the skin of lips is fairly thin.
Infection On Lip
Infection on lip can be due to many causes. It can be a bacterial infection, a fungal infection or a viral infection.
Under normal circumstances, lips are not easily susceptible to infection even though there are many organisms found in oral cavity. This is partly due to the constant washing of the lips by saliva. The organisms are swallowed and destroyed in the stomach. Saliva has a mild anti bacterial activity.
Infective pathogens take advantage when the defense mechanism of the body becomes weak.
Symptoms Of Fungal Infection On Lips
Fungal lip infection is caused by Candida Albicans.
Symptoms of fungal lip infection are:
- Small thin white, creamy white plaques on corner of lips and in the mouth.
- It looks like curd of milk.
- On wiping the white patch, bleeding erosion is revealed.
- Pain and mild swelling of lips.
Following are the symptoms of bacterial lip infection:
- Swelling of the infected lip.
- Pain and redness.
- Lip is hot to touch.
- Boil or a blister on the lip.
- Presence of pus.
- Slight Bleeding.
Symptoms of viral lip infection, caused due to herpes virus, are:
- Group of small fluid filled vesicles on the lips and in the corner of the lips.
- Sores appearing on the lips are painful.
- Swollen neck glands.
Home Remedies For Lip Infection
Here are a few natural home remedies for bacterial lip infection:
- Drink water frequently. It will stimulate saliva secretion. Saliva has mild antibacterial properties which will help regulate the bacterial activity.
- Eat food rich in Vitamin C and B-complex. It will boost the immune system to fight the offending bacteria.
- Try to avoid biting your lips. Take good care of your teeth and treat sharp teeth that may be the cause of lip bites.
- Apply turmeric paste on the affected area. Turmeric has anti bacterial properties. It will effectively act on the bacteria organisms.
- Drink a glass of milk in the morning and night, mixed with half teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Avoid eating spicy food, chewing or smoking tobacco, drinking alcohol, sugary and processed food.
Fungal Lip Infection Remedies
- Avoid eating sugar as it facilitates growth of candida fungal infection.
- If you are diabetic, take appropriate treatment and bring it under control.
- Goldenseal is an antifungal home remedy for lip infection as it contains Berberine, an anti fungal agent. You can apply it locally or consume orally.
- Berberine is also found in blood root. It is equally effective in treating fungal lip infection.
- Tea tree oil is as important as any other anti fungal home remedy. Apply it on the affected lip. It will alleviate the condition in few days.