Fungi are microorganisms that are highly contagious; they can spread from one person to another either through direct contact or through a carrier. These organisms are opportunistic, whenever the condition is favorable, they start growing on the upper surface of the skin. Though the spread of fungi can also occur in the internal organs, it is mainly restricted to the external skin.
Causes Of Fungal Infection On Skin
- Suppressed immune system. When the immune system is compromised, the opportunistic skin fungus starts growing. Diseases such as HIV infection, Cancer disease after chemotherapy etc.
- Prolong use of antibiotics can imbalance the intestinal bacterial flora, and the opportunistic yeast infection gets the chance to spread.
- Certain people who have chronic diseases such as diabetes are prone to fungal infection.
- Skin fungus prefers moisture for its growth. Therefore you will find their presence in skin folds of groin, armpits, between the finger and toes etc.
Treatment For Fungal Skin Infections
It is necessary to treat the skin fungus infection at the earliest so that it’s spread to other areas can be restricted. Most of the time the general symptoms of skin fungus is intense itching, redness, rash, shedding of skin and occasionally bleeding due to scratching.
There are several home remedies that have treated skin fungus successfully.
It takes time for skin fungus to get healed completely, you have to keep patience. In order to prevent recurrence, sometime the treatment can last more than a week.
- Maintaining proper skin hygiene, eating healthy food, taking natural home remedies, boosting immune system, all together can keep the skin fungus disease away.
- Clean the affected skin with soap and water. Because due to perspiration, the dust, germs get accumulated on the skin area. Clean your hands with soap and water after cleaning the area, so that you do not spread the infection to other areas. Dry the area properly after washing.
Skin Fungus Home Remedy
- Tea tree oil is the best skin fungus home remedy. Dilute tea tree oil with olive oil in the ratio of 2: 5, two parts of tea tree oil and five parts of carrier oil, olive oil. Tea tree oil action against skin fungus is well elicited by many practitioners of naturopathy.
- Apple cider vinegar is another home remedy which can kill the skin fungus from its roots. As it can cause irritation to the skin, apply diluted apple cider vinegar with water. Its action is best on the skin fungus that causes white patches imitating vitiligo. These white spots are called tinea versicolor infection. They occur on the face, on the arms, chest and back. Simply dab the diluted vinegar with a cotton ball three to four times in a day for few days until you find the white spots have vanished.
- Apply yogurt on the affected skin fungus. Yogurt contains colony of live bacteria that can fight fungus infestation and eradicate them. You can also consume yogurt regularly in your diet.