The prevalence of obesity is on a rise since few decades. People are not able to completely stem the tide. In such situation, people start adopting wide variety of strategies for weight reduction such as dietary supplements, gym workouts etc.
Garcinia is one such plant that has become popular since few decades as a slimming aid.
Does garcinia gambojia really work for fat burning?
Garcinia cambogia is native of Indonesia and it is found in abundance in Southeast Asia and southern parts of India. It is also called Malabar tamarind. Many people of these region use garcinia cambogia in their food preparation because of its sour taste. Since few decades, garcinia cambogia has come in focus because of certain substance that it contains. This substance or ingredient is called hydroxycitric acid or HCA. HCA is derivative of citric acid.
How does garcinia cambogia work for weight loss:
- Garcinia cambogia prevents accumulation of fat in the body.
- The main ingredient called hydroxycitric acid slows digestive process in the gastrointestinal tract thus, it increases glycemic index.
- Stops an enzyme called citrate lyase from converting carb into fat.
- Increases production of a chemical in brain called serotonin, a feel good hormone. The increase in serotonin will reduce depression and stress hence emotional eating is controlled.
- Garcinia cambogia contains important minerals such as potassium and calcium. Both are involved in increase of metabolic activity in the body, thus helps in burning of fat and reduction of cholesterol level.
Side effects of garcinia gambogia:
Despite of the prominent role of garcinia gambogia in inducing satiety and fat oxidation, this anti-obesity dietary supplement has some side effects. Some people may suffer from headache, dizziness, dryness in mouth and diarrhea after taking garcinia gambogia. In such case, person must first consult his doctor before taking garcinia. Garcinia can interact with certain medications such as statins and medicines controlling blood sugar for diabetics.
Garcinia cambogia how to take:
Garcinia cambogia can be taken as a supplement in its dried powdered form. Tablets and capsules containing the powder are commercially available. However, garcinia cambogia drink can be prepared from the dried fruit if someone does not want to take supplement capsules and tablets.
- Take one rind of the dried garcinia fruit and soak it over night in one cup of water.
- In the morning pour the water along with the rind in another vessel. Add one or two cups of water. Boil the same for 5 minutes. After it becomes cool, strain the liquid and pour it in a glass.
- Take one glass of this drink thirty minutes before each meal.
Although garcinia is known to burn fat, stop excess of fat deposition in the abdominal area, person intending to reduce weight must also eat healthy food and exercise daily in order to meet his weight reduction goal.