The Human Papilloma Virus or the HPV causes genital warts. It can be found in both men and women. Warts in the genital area are considered sexually transmitted diseases.
- Genital warts generally occur in clusters.
- They can be tiny masses or they can be large enough to be easily seen
- They are often flesh colored or they can be darker than the surrounding skin.
- Warts can also appear lighter than the skin and can bleach with the application of acetic acid
- Symptoms may not occur immediately after an infection as the warts can go into a latency stage
- Even in when latent, warts are still highly infectious
- It can be prevented with safe sex and with the HPV Vaccine, but the latter only works when the patient gets vaccinated before exposure.
- Genital warts were so widespread in the US that by the 1990s around one million cases of genital warts were reported each year.
Symptoms of Genital Warts for Men
- Penile warts can usually be found on the shaft
- They are also common on the scrotal area and on the skin surrounding the anus
- The warts may also be found inside the anal canal
Long Term Effects of Genital Warts for Men
- There are no serious long-term effects to having genital warts
- Eventually the body clears up an infection and the warts can go away
- However, once a person is infected, they can remain infected for the rest of their lives.
- One major issue with warts is the discomfort and the embarrassment of having them.
- Even when they cannot be treated directly, they can still be removed.
How to get rid of Genital Warts for Men
- Warts can be removed surgically through freezing, burning off with acid, or laser treatment.
- Removing the warts does not guarantee that it will not return
Home Remedies for Warts
Here are some of the more popular home remedies and home treatments used for genital warts in men.
- Castor Oil – applying castor oil to the affected area can help get rid of the warts
- Tea Tree Oil – its antimicrobial properties have been shown to be effective in getting rid of wart lesions on the skin
- Fresh Aloe Vera Crushed and Placed on Affected Area – helps dissolve the warts
- Milkweed sap
- Increasing sulfur containing foods in the diet plan – this includes foods like eggs, asparagus, onions, and citrus fruits.
- Poultice of fruits that contain proteolytic enzymes (e.g. pineapple, papaya, and figs.