Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) is known to cause genital warts and skin warts. Some strains of the virus are also known to result in cervical cancer, cervical and vaginal dysplasia in women, and penile cancer or anal cancer in men.
Home Remedies For HPV Infection
Following are some of the natural home remedies for skin warts
Apple cider vinegar
- Take some apple cider vinegar on a cotton swab and apply to the warts. Leave overnight. The results vary from person to person and will take a few weeks to cure. Apple cider vinegar helps slough off the wart cells and dead skin cells.
- Dip the affected part in warm water before applying salicylic acid, so that the skin becomes softer and will absorb the salicylic acid. Remember that the salicylic acid should not touch the unaffected parts. Leave overnight, until the wart becomes soft enough to be removed by scrubbing.
- Mix castor oil and baking soda to form a paste. Apply to the wart and cover with a medical sticking. Scrub off when it becomes soft.
- Aloe Vera gel is an excellent remedy for warts. It soothes the affected skin and helps eliminate warts effectively.
- Grate an onion and squeeze out the juice and apply this juice to the warts. Apply this juice daily, till the warts disappear. Onions have strong anti microbial properties that help control infection. Add some salt to the juice. Salt is a mild antiseptic and prevents spread of the genital warts
It is important to remember that genital wart removal will take a while to show results and regular use is necessary for beneficial results.
Ensure that you follow proper hygiene practices so as to prevent secondary infections. Do not scrape / scrub the warts in a way as will damage the skin and can cause the infection and warts to spread.
You must clean the area well, every morning and night, using warm water and a mild anti septic soap. Avoid soaps and perfumed products, since the chemicals in them irritate the skin.
Wear underwear made from natural materials; synthetic materials inflame the sensitive skin around the warts.
Causes And Symptoms Of HPV In Men And Women
Causes Of HPV
HPV is transmitted via skin to skin contact. The virus enters the body on coming in contact with an infected individual. A weak immune system increases the chances of infection.
Genital warts occur due to sexual contact with an infected individual; and develop due to HPV types 6 and 11. Men and women who have multiple sexual partners or have unprotected sex are susceptible to infection.
Symptoms Of HPV
Commonly seen HPV symptoms in men and women are:
- Flat warts or cauliflower shaped warts. They itch, bleed and discharge. In women, warts appear at the vagina, vulva or cervix; in men, they develop at the tip of penis, scrotum, groin and the inner thigh.
- Genital warts are caused by the low risk HPV.
- High risk HPV causes cervical cancer in women and penile cancer in men.
- Other symptoms include: recurrent respiratory papillomatosis, cervical or vaginal dysplasia.