Your gums are pink and spongy structures in your mouth that hold and protect your teeth firmly in its place. They adhere closely to the teeth and prevent entry of bacteria into the roots of the teeth and deeper down into the jaws.
Bleeding gums is a condition which should not be neglected, as there are many serious underlying causes besides diseases of gums.
Causes Of Bleeding Gums?
Some of the causes of bleeding gums are:
- Gingivitis: it is a common cause for bleeding gums. Here your gums start to bleed upon touch or when you brush your teeth or while you eat. The gums are inflamed and become spongy. They can occur as a result of accumulation of plaques and bacterial infection.
- Brushing with hard bristles and overzealous pressure on the gums while brushing can make your gums sore and bleed.
- Smoking and chewing tobacco: there is excessive accumulation of tartar on the teeth which can cause gum disease and bleeding gums.
- Vitamin K deficiency can cause bleeding of gums.
- Scurvy: it is a disease caused due to deficiency of vitamin C. it is characterized by bleeding from gums, diarrhea and loss of weight.
- Certain diseases such as leukemia, auto immune diseases can also be the cause.
Home Remedies For Bleeding Gums
There are several home remedies for bleeding gums especially in case of gingivitis, at the same time, it is necessary to know the underlying cause for bleeding gums as it is a symptom of many systemic diseases.
- Vitamin C: deficiency of this vitamin is a major reason for bleeding gums. Eat and drink fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin C. Orange juice, lemon juice, tomato, cabbage, and broccoli, green leafy vegetables are rich sources of vitamin C.
- Gingivitis: it is another major reason for bleeding gums. Clove oil acts remarkably to cure gingivitis. Rub clove oil mixed on the affected gums; although there may be burning sensation in the beginning, it is a useful remedy to cure bleeding gums caused due to gingivitis.
- Wash your mouth regularly after meals; brush your teeth at least two times in a day. One of the best home remedy to prevent bleeding gums is to take proper care of gums and teeth.
- Pluck few fresh holy basil leaves, make a paste by grinding the leaves add little water to make it thin and rub it all over your gums two times in a day. Holy basil is an effective natural remedy for bleeding gums.
- Rub freshly prepared pulp from aloe vera leaves on your gums. It is an effective remedy to stop bleeding from gums.
- Gargling with salt water and lemon juice is also useful to stop bleeding caused due to gingivitis.