Magnesium sulfate is commonly referred to as Epsom salt. It is a great natural remedy for relieving the symptoms of gout. It was in the town of Epsom in England where the salt was distilled from the spring water and so it is called Epsom salt. The salt has many medicinal benefits; it is easily absorbed through the skin when added in bath.
Gout is the type of arthritis which affects the big toe; however it can also affect knees, ankle etc. There is increased level of uric acid in gout. The sharp crystals of uric acid build up around the joints, particularly joints of lower extremities such as big toe and ankle or knee causes discomfort, tenderness and pain with swelling. Foot soak of Epsom salt for gout is an effective way of relieving the pain and tenderness felt in big toe and ankle.
How to use Epsom Salt in Gout Pain
Epsom Salt Bath
- Fill the bath tub with warm water. The warmer is the water; more effective is the treatment of Epsom salt bath. Be careful your bath water should not be too warm to scald your skin.
- Now add 2 cups of Epsom salt to the water. Let it get dissolved thoroughly.
- Soak yourself in the warm water tub for 15 minutes.
- Take full Epsom salt bath three times in a week to get relief from pain and swelling in conditions such as gout.
- You can also use Epsom salt in foot bath. For this add a cup of Epsom salt in a wide mouth bucket filled with warm water. Immerse your feet in the bucket for 10 to 15 minutes regularly to get relief from pain in the big toe due to gout.
- If your muscles are sore, along with gout trouble you can apply warm compresses of Epsom salt on those muscles. It reduces the inflammation and pain due to presence of magnesium.