Gout is characterized by sudden, excruciating pain, redness and tenderness in the affected joints. It is a form of arthritis which is commoner in men and women after menopause.
An acute attack of gout of the ankle joint is typified by excessive pain and a sensation that the bones are on fire.
Causes Of Gout In Ankle Joint
Gout develops when uric acid crystals build up in the ankle joint, resulting in inflammation and pain. The body synthesizes uric acid when it decomposes purines (substances found naturally in the body, as well as in certain foods, like anchovies, herring, organ meat, asparagus and mushrooms).
Generally, uric acid dissolves in the blood and passes out of the body via urine. However, occasionally the body may produce large amounts of uric acid or the kidneys may expel too little. Consequently, uric acid accumulates, forming crystals, which trigger inflammation and pain in the joint.
Certain factors are known to increase uric acid levels in the body, these are:
- Excessive alcohol consumption increases your risk of developing gout.
- Diabetes, untreated hypertension, high levels of cholesterol and arteriosclerosis are important risk factors.
- A family history of gout.
Symptoms Of Gout In Ankle
Symptoms of gout are acute, occurring suddenly, usually at night and without any prior warning. They are:
- Excruciating pain in the ankle. The pain is most severe within the first 12 to 24 hours after it commences.
- Discomfort: After the excruciating pain diminishes, there will be joint discomfort which lasts from a few days to a couple of weeks.
- Inflammation: The ankle becomes red, swollen, tender and hot.
Natural Remedies For Gout In The Ankle
The following home remedies help dissolve the uric acid crystals and thus help manage the pain and discomfort of gout effectively:
- Water: Make sure you are drinking ample water, about 3 to 3 and half liters per day. Water helps flush away uric acid deposits and consequently prevents ankle joint pain successfully.
- Cherries: Numerous studies and clinical case trials have proved that cherries are exceedingly beneficial for the management of gouty symptoms. Cherries are packed with essential antioxidants which help fight inflammation and swelling and may even prevent a buildup of urate crystals in the joint. Have 100 to 250 grams of cherries on a regular basis for best results.
- Lime is another very efficient home remedy for gout. Lime dissolves the uric acid crystals and wards off a buildup successfully. Have about 2 to 3 limes per day.
- Steer clear of alcohol. Alcohol causes gouty symptoms as well as triggers exacerbations. Complete abstinence is advocated for quick recovery.
- Eat a moderate amount of protein, and from healthy sources, like, low-fat or fat-free dairy, egg whites, and nut butters.
- Reduce your intake of meat, poultry and fish to approximately 4 ounces per day.
- Exercising is recommended to keep the affected joint flexible and pain free. You could visit a physical therapist for about 10 to 12 sessions to improve the range of motion of the ankle joint as well as to manage the pain and swelling. Thereafter, make sure you do light exercises on a daily basis. Gentle massages of the joint are beneficial too.