Gout manifests as unexpected and excruciating attacks of pain in the affected joints along with redness and tenderness. It is a complex form of arthritis which can afflict any joint of the body.
Gout in the knuckles develops when urate crystals build up in the joints, triggering swelling, inflammation and pain. Urate crystals form when there are high levels of uric acid in the blood.
Typically, uric acid passes through the kidneys into the urine. Conversely, on some occasions, the body might manufacture too much uric acid or the kidneys may eliminate too little. Therefore, uric acid starts accumulating, forming urate crystals in the joint, setting off swelling and pain.
Excessive alcohol consumption triggers a gouty attack. Also, neglected hypertension, atherosclerosis and diabetes result in gout.
Symptoms Of Gout In Knuckles
The manifestations of gout are sudden, acute, often at night and without any warning. They include:
- Excruciating pain.
- Lasting pain and discomfort. After the severe pain settles down, some discomfort remains for a few weeks.
- Inflammation and redness. The knuckles become swollen, inflamed, warm, tender and red.
Natural Remedies To Cure Gout Pain In Knuckles
Managing gout needs a multidisciplinary approach, consisting of medications, physiotherapy and lifestyle modifications.
In the initial phase of the treatment, you may have to take medications to bring the uric acid level back to normal. Thereafter, home remedies will help manage the condition successfully.
- Drink 4 liters of fluid per day.
- Steer clear of alcohol.
- Eat small amounts of protein, if possible low-fat sources such as, eggs, soy, and nut butters.
- Limit everyday consumption of meat, fish and poultry to 150 grams.
- Research and clinical trials on gouty patients have demonstrated that, coffee helps lower the levels of uric acid in the blood. On the other hand, research isn’t conclusive about how and what is the co-relation.
- Vitamin C supplements decrease uric acid levels in the blood. Increase your vitamin C intake by consuming loads of limes, lemons, oranges, cherries, mangoes, bell peppers and guavas. These are packed with the vitamin. Also, you may talk to your health care provider in case you wish to start a vitamin C supplement.
- In addition to all the vitamin C rich foods, make sure you have at least 3 to 4 limes per day. Research has shown that lime helps break up the uric acid crystals and dissolves them and helps eliminate via urine.
- Cherries are linked to low levels of uric acid, but it’s not clear whether they have a beneficial effect on the symptoms of gout. Eating cherries and other dark colored fruits, like, strawberries, blueberries, purple grapes and raspberries, are advocated by experts.
- Physical therapy will help allay the discomfort in the knuckles. The therapy helps reduce pain, swelling and discomfort appreciably and will also enhance the range of motion of the joint.
- Homeopathy drugs are excellent for the effective management of gout. Rhus tox, Arnica and Ledum Pal have been touted as exceedingly effectual to quickly ameliorate the pain and swelling and also normalize the level of uric acid in the blood.
- Relaxation techniques, such as, Yoga, deep breathing exercises and meditation help take your mind off the discomfort.