An intense episode of crying can set off a headache, burning eyes, and a dry mouth. When you cry, the tear ducts discharge a combination of water, mucus and oil in to your eyes. Some tears travel via the small holes at the sides of your eyelids, into the nasal cavity and make the nose run as well.
Crying causes water loss in the body and a painful headache is an indication of dehydration. Stress caused by the reason making you cry triggers tension headaches. If you are susceptible to sinusitis, crying irritates the sinuses, bringing on a sinus headache.
Grief and stress release stress hormones from the body. These hormones set off headaches. A headache is also triggered when there occur alterations in the neurotransmitters in the brain, including serotonin, endorphins, etc. When the levels of these chemicals rise and fall, your body brings forth various responses from crying.
Headaches related to crying manifests as – dull pain and pressure in the forehead and around the head; tension in the scalp, neck and shoulders; runny nose and stomach upset.
Headache and the other related symptoms due to crying appear only when a person is crying related to stress, depression or some negative emotion. Crying that is associated with happiness does not cause any muscle tension and / or hormone fluctuations that are largely brought on by negative emotions.
Crying can be a healthy way to deal with your stress; nevertheless, headaches can be prevented by limiting the tension in the body. When an episode of crying comes on, try taking deep breaths and doing neck and shoulder stretches; this helps to prevent or reduce the intensity of a headache.
In case you are experiencing frequent bouts of crying accompanied by headaches, this may be a sign of depression or an anxiety disorder. Thus, it is very vital to seek medical help to assuage your symptoms and understand the underlying cause of depression.
Home Remedies For Headache Due To Crying
- Water: Drink plenty of water after an episode of crying to replace the fluids lost; this helps ensure that the headaches stay at bay. Steer clear of alcohol while and after crying. Alcohol increases dehydration and headaches.
- For a headache caused by crying, try taking an analgesic to manage the pain. On the other hand, in case you have repeated headaches and recurrent episodes of crying, and are prone to stress and depression, think about seeing a health care provider / counselor. Your health care provider will discuss your reasons for crying and talk to you about anti-depressant medications too.
- Ginger: It is an excellent home remedy for headache related to excessive crying. Boil about an inch of grated ginger in a glass of water. Add honey and have at once. Ginger helps allay headaches and neck pains successfully.
- Essential oils: They are effective as well; especially, Lavender essential oil and Bergamot essential oil. Add 2 to 3 drops of either essential oil on a napkin and sniff. It helps reduce headaches quickly. Lavender eases stress and tension, makes you calm and battles irritability. Bergamot infuses you with happiness and warmth.
- Stress management is the key to battle crying related headaches. Identify triggers for your emotional turmoil and unhappiness and try to circumvent them.