Headache is one of the most common of human complaints. Sinus headaches are caused due to sinusitis (inflammation of the sinuses). Sinuses are cavities filled with air around the eyes, nose and the cheeks. Sinusitis is inflammation of inner lining of the sinuses due to various reasons which we will discuss.
Following are Sinus Headache Symptoms
- Pressure around the eyes and the forehead.
- The area around the eyes and the cheek is tender to touch.
- Headache is worse with bending your head, jumping or leaning forward.
- Sinus headache is worse in morning.
- Nasal discharge is thick and yellowish green.
- Associated fever, cold and cough.
- Headache increases when you come in a warm room after going out in the cold.
- Tiredness and associated fatigue.
- Feeling not well.
- Pain in the upper molars.
- Watery nasal discharge.
Sinus headache can be confused with migraine headaches as most of the symptoms overlap each other. However sinus headache are not aggravated and associated with nausea and vomiting as in the case of migraine. Person suffering from migraine cannot bear bright light and prefers absolute silence as sound makes the symptoms worse, this features are not present in sinus headache.
Sinus Headache Treatment
The best way to get sinus headache relief is to treat sinusitis. Most of the time relief can be obtained with lifestyle changes, dietary modifications, medications especially home remedies and other alternative therapies.
- The simplest way to cure congestion in the sinuses is to drink warm water. It liquefies the mucus and helps to drain the flow.
- Eat food rich in vitamin C, as it boosts the immune system to fight the sinus infection. Fruits and green leafy vegetables are rich source of vitamin C.
- Steam inhalation and saline nasal drops help to reduce nasal congestion and give relief in sinus headache.
- Drink warm soup as it will relieve the nasal congestion and subsequently your headache.
- To get quick relief from sinus headache, make paste of cinnamon powder after mixing it with water. Apply the paste on your forehead. Your headache gets relieved as the paste dries up.
- There are several homeopathic medicines useful in treating sinus headache and sinusitis. You should consult a good homeopath as homeopathy believes in individualization.